Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wilson's Plover

 
 Yesterday a Wilson's Plover was seen at Scarborough Beach. This is a very rare bird, only the third ever seen in Rhode Island. Ironically I saw one of the other two on the mudflats of Charlestown last year. When it was seen yesterday, I was working.

  There was no doubt that hordes of birders be at the beach at first light hoping it would still be there. I had to work again today, but knew that if it were there, I could get out with enough time to drive there before dark. It was still there. My phone blew up with reports of it all day long. It was encouraging but also frustrating because I had to finish work first.

   I got out in the afternoon and drove down. I didn't have to look hard. There were four birders at the beach looking at it. Besides the Wilson's Plover, for some reason multiple other rarities were seen from the spot near the jetty. There was an American Pipit, Black Headed Gull (which has been there all winter), and a Palm Warbler. None are anywhere as rare as the plover, but it made birding easy and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment