Monday, March 30, 2020

Vacationing in the USA


Elk in Rocky Mountain National Park are only two hours from
Denver International Airport.
As many of us realize, the longer this goes on, the more businesses will be on the verge bankruptcy. I think some of the hardest hit will be those that depend on the tourist dollar. I believe that when we start to recover, many people will have lost a lot of their savings and will be reluctant to go on vacation. This will affect the tourist industry long after people stopped getting sick. Furthermore, I think we all learned to keep a little more money in our savings.

   When we recover from this, maybe we should as a country reconsider where we go on vacation and spend our money. For example, instead of going to Jamaica or the Dominican, it would help create jobs and help the economy to go to the Keys or Hawaii.
Key West sunset

   I'm not saying that it is my place to tell you where to go. It is just a suggestion that we vacation in America to help out our fellow citizens. If you know me, then you know I dream of going to the Louvre and an African Safari. They are high on my bucket list for sure, but there are plenty of places in the US that offer absolute great opportunities to vacation.
When buffalo block the road, you don't go until they go
Badlands National Park

I'm spoiled by beaches. I go to them pretty much weekly from August through May. Truth be told, and shame on me, I don't even notice the scenery at all. All I care about is if there are stripers feeding under the waves or if the Red Knots are still hanging at Napatree.  However, for the rest of you, I do understand the allure of a beach vacation. Yet, there's no need to go to the Caribbean. There are great beach towns up and down the Atlantic Coast. They have all the food you could eat. They have boardwalks and entertainment. Literally from Old Orchard Beach in Maine down to Key West, the coast is covered with great beach towns such as Ocean City, MD, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Daytona, Miami Beach and my favorite town I have ever been in Key West. I suspect the West Coast is no different.

Yellowstone Grizz

   I have been to Yellowstone and I've been to South Dakota and I can tell you, you feel like you are on Safari at those places. Of course, this is why I want to go to Africa, but the wild animals in America are just as awesome, and I suspect the scenery is far better. Many people take the stupid ass tour bus to Yellowstone. They go to the highlights (Old Faithful, Artist Bluff, and a couple other spots). They spend a day and they are off to the next park on the circuit.  Because Yellowstone is so full of wildlife, even the people on the bus are gonna see some of Yellowstones fauna. But, if you spend a few days there, maybe take a couple hikes, you will fall in love with the place. A few days in Yellowstone pretty much guarantees seeing a couple bear, massive elk, and of course bison. If the wldlife in the lower 8 aren't enough for you, it doesn't get more exotic than Alaska.
The Tetons

   Just south of Yellowstone lies Grant Teton National Park. It has the same wildlife as Yellowstone with the addition of far more moose. It also has the most majestic scenery in the lower forty eight. One could easily do a week to ten day vacation exploring both parks. If you are one of those that like luxury accommodations then Jackson Hole would make a nice base for the Tetons.
Gettysburg

   This country is full of so many great places. We have amazing historical sites and battlefields. We have mountain ranges and two oceans along with the tropical Gulf of Mexico.  We have awesome world class museums and and art galleries.We have fun cites (my favorite is Philly) and obviously great food pretty much everywhere.

   So when this is over, maybe consider taking the family on a road trip or to a beach town and be Jimmy Buffett for a week. Maybe a trip to the Space Needle n Seattle or the Alamo in San Antonio is up your alley. As for me,  want to see it all.
The Thinker outside the Rodin Museum
Philadelphia, PA

Fun fact- The Thinker is looking down into Hell 






No comments:

Post a Comment