Saturday, November 2, 2019

Gadwall photo shoot

   Gadwall may not be as known to non-birders as other ducks such as mallards and wood ducks but they are fairly common during the cooler months in southern New England. If I looked for them during the winter months I would find them most of the time if the ponds aren't frozen. They are a very reliable bird at Trustom Pond. However, like most ducks, they don't get very close to people (mallards, of course are an exception). I have great looks at them in binoculars and my scope many times, yet I don't think I have ever taken a picture of one because they were so far away it wasn't worth it.

   That was until today. My friend Sue and I went to a little pond in South Kingston looking for songbirds in the berry trees around the pond. We were pleasantly surprised that the pond had 19 ducks on it. They were all Gadwall. The pond is only about an acre and we could walk all the way around it. The ducks kept an eye on us and wouldn't get too close. However, unless they flew away, they were a captive audience. We patently watched them swim around and feed. When they got into good light, we would snap some photos. We enjoyed watching and photographing them for almost two hours. It was a fun afternoon.







No comments:

Post a Comment