Friday, August 31, 2018

Living the salt Life Again- Short Version

The albie fly, while not the best lure for the day still
scored me dozens of feeding stripers.
I had the last two days off from work. I spent both days down by the ocean. Here is the short version.

Thursday

YESTERDAY WAS HOT!!!!!

I got to the ocean at 6:30. It was so hot and humid at 6:30.  I could shake my head and sweat would pour off. My friend, Dick, came down to fish with me.  I caught a bunch of stripers on an albie fly and float, hoping to get a bonito. It was so hot that by 9 am I was done fishing. The fish were still biting but, I couldn't take it.

I left to go birding in Charlestown. I saw at least 5 Western Sandpipers, which is a lot for around here. As the name implies, most of them live on the west coast. A few show up on the East Coast, but 5 in Charlestown is a lot. I also saw White Rumped Sandpiper and two Pectoral Sandpipers.

I went fishing again at the same spot I fished in the morning. It was loaded with fish. I caught so many that I got bored and left before dark. My friend Dave, and his son Jon, caught even more than me. The hot lure was the Jumpin' Minnow. However, I stayed with my single hooked Albie Fly. I caught more than my fair share of fish anyway.

Friday-

The weather was much nicer today. The high at the ocean was around 78 and the humidity was much lower.

I went birding because of a report I read. Caspian Tern and Buff Breasted Sandpiper were seen in Charlestown. I went down and saw the tern but dipped on the sandpiper.

I drove back up north to fish the rocks. By the time I got there the water was dirty. The fish had stopped biting, and the bait had disappeared. Still, it was nice out and there worse things I could be doing than standing on rocks, enjoying the breeze, and casting my surf rod.

Pictures below of Western Sandpiper. It is the bird with the long droopy bill








No comments:

Post a Comment