Sunday, August 19, 2018

Adventure #4 of 7-McGreevy's Sports Bar

Rarely do I write about an eating establishment on the blog. Under most circumstances, restaurants have little to do with the outdoors. However this story is different because it is the beginning of Red Sox Nation.

McGreevy's is a sports bar on Boylston Street in Downtown Boston. It is owned by Dropkick Murphy's band leader Ken Casey. Casey bought the bar is 2008 because of its history. In 1894 Sam McGreevy bought the bar which was called the 3rd Base Saloon. It was technically the oldest (first) sports themed bar in the country. Politicians, fans, and ballplayers would come in for a drink. The original Red Sox fans called themselves the Royal Rooters. McGreevy's nickname "Nuf Said".Whenever there was an argument in the bar, when he heard enough, he would slam his hand on the bar and say "Nuf Said!"

I'm obviously a fan of the Dropkick Murphy's, they are my favorite band from Boston (sorry Aerosmith). I love the fact that Ken Casey is a sports junkie. He is a huge Sox, Bruins, and boxing fan.  I have wanted to go to McGreevy's for a while now. But I wasn't going to go in to Boston just to eat and grab a beer. So when Laurie got the gymno tickets, the opportunity to visit McGreevy's presented itself.

The plan was to go for supper before heading to the Garden. However, when we got out of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum I was really hungry. I knew it would be best to eat before going to adventure #5. So we took the T to the Prudential stop and walked the ten minutes to McGreevy's

We were there early in the day so there were only a couple of people there. I'm sure it is packed during Red Sox games. We took a table ordered a water and I looked around. The entire wall space is covered in memorabilia. There are photos of players past and present. There are old newspaper articles, signed shirts and a Dropkick Murphys poster or two (or three). I asked the waitress if I could take some pictures and apologized for looking like such a tourist.

McGreevy's is a bar and the menu is typical bar food. That said, they have an actual classically trained chef that selects the menu options. For my meal, I ordered buffalo chicken wings, sweet potato fries and a Bud Light. Laurie got a burger, sweet potato fries and a Sam Adams. The food was delicious. The wings, although buffalo, had another spice added I could not put my finger on. Instead of tasting like every other restaurant's buffalo chicken, they had their own delicious taste. Laurie and I both thought the Sweet Potato Fries were the best we ever had. They were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and not at all burned. She also said her burger was good.

My beer cost me $5 which is what one should expect to pay while in Boston. To put that into perspective, my soda at the Boston Garden was six dollars while the extra large is $8. Overall, my experience at McGreevy's was great. I will go back,if for no other reason, the Sweet Potato Fries were that good!

Photos of the inside below.

Autographed picture of boxing legend Micky Ward



The man with the mustache is Nuf Said McGreevy



This shirt needs a little explanation. If you look up the video for "Tessie" on Youtube you will see all of the members of the Murphys are wearing these red jerseys. This one is Ken Casey's. After the Sox won the 2004 World Series, Casey sought out all of the members of the championship team and had them sign it. The Dropkick Murphy's released the song Tessie in 04. They do believe they are partially responsible for breaking the curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment