Thursday, May 19, 2016

Plum Island Highlights

Towhee
    I went to Plum Island today to do some birding. I'll keep this short so not to bore my fishing buddies. I left home at 6 am and got back at 4 pm. I saw 46 species for the day. This number is a little low.However, I saw nine species new for the year. Least Tern, Common Tern, Magnolia Warbler, Bobolink, Purple Martin, Willet, Least Sandpiper, Brown Thrasher and Marsh Wren.  For reasons I don't know, I didn't see some very common birds including any hawks, great blue heron, or nuthatches. There are many other ones I didn't see.

I wasn't really trying to see how many species I could see anyway. I went up just for a relaxing day outside. If I saw a "good" bird, I watched it for a while. An example, I watched a Marsh Wren build a nest for almost a half hour. If I was trying to see as many species as I could I would have looked at it for ten seconds then moved on.

I'm going back up to Parker River National Wildlife Refuge next week from Wednesday to Friday. I am really looking forward to getting early starts an not feeling rushed. I'm also going to do some shad fishing.
American Redstart



Female Common Yellowthroat



Piper Plover



Marsh Wren



Purple Finch



Yellow Warbler



Least Terns



Catbird

Common Terns


No comments:

Post a Comment