Monday, May 23, 2016

Changing stripes

A tiger can't change its stripes. However as a fisherman that has been chasing fish that have seven black stripes, today I decided to go after the fish with one pink stripe.

I don't remember the last time I went trout fishing. I bet it has been a month. Every night that I went fishing the last few weeks, I've fished for stripers. My daytrips on my day off usually resulted in me going birding during the morning and fishing for stripers during the evening.

Today, for no particular reason, I went to the fly fishing only pond. Normally I spend many  a spring night there. Not this year, I went three nights in a row in April, and that has been it. I arrived at the pond late because I was reading the last thirty pages of a book, and couldn't force myself to put it down. I was in the water at 7:10. This, it turned out, gave me ninety minutes to fish.

The water was dead still. I was very surprised that there wasn't much bug activity on the water. Up until the last fifteen minutes, I barely saw a splash. Because there wasn't many feeding fish, I blind casted my beadhead hare's ear.

By no means did I kill 'em tonight. I landed two and had two others on. The big story was how annoying the sunfish were. The sunfish are in pre-spawn and the females are loaded with eggs. I don't know how many I caught but it was ridiculous. I tried to avoid them by stripping my fly as fast as I could, but it was no use. Any slight pause and I was pulling in a six inch bluegill.

Since trout fishing is usually over by the end of the first week of June, I'm going to try to get in another night or two if I can pull myself away from stripers again!

No comments:

Post a Comment