Saturday, May 14, 2016

Picking them off one at a time

   I have been striper fishing a few nights a week since April. Early on, I was having great success
with good numbers of fish. Over the last couple weeks my tally has decreased dramatically. I have been fishing multiple locations in Narragansett Bay. No matter where I fish, I seem to land between 0-3 fish.

In what is the prime month of the early half of the year, I can't complain. Most nights are finding me getting at least a couple of hits. I got a goose egg two nights in a row in Warwick last week. However, one of those nights I had multiple hits but no hook ups on a popper.

Tonight, I landed one fish, a decent schoolie on a Zoom Fluke. My friend Dave was fishing on top and had a few hits and landed two fish. I am not sure if the ocean is better right now. Maybe there are big numbers in the bay, but I'm not fishing the right places.

The truth is, I have no problem getting a couple of stripers an evening. I might go explore other spots but if I keep getting a few a night, I'm content. The places I have been fishing are very close to home. It is nice to be back at the house twenty minutes after I pack my gear in my car.

It is true, if I go trout fishing, I'd probably catch more fish than I have been. If I went carp fishing, if I land one, it would probably weigh more than the schoolies I'm getting. However, I have been enjoying my striper evenings. Even though my last two outings were skunkings, while I was at work today, I thought about striper fishing a lot. That is how I know, I'm still enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment