Thursday, November 28, 2013

Things I am thankful for 2013

Last year I wrote a post about things I was thankful for in the outdoors. I am still thankful for all of those things. I am lucky enough to chase stripers, carp, and smallmouth whenever I want after work. I feel honored when I have a view of the White Mountains from a summit. So instead of rehashing the things I wrote last year. I thought I’d look back on some of my favorite outdoor memories from this year. Isn’t that what Thanksgiving is about. Being grateful for what you have and cherishing the memories with others.

1.      I still have to start with stripers. I’m thankful for the big striper that I caught in Narragansett in October. I’m almost as thankful that someone was there to take pictures of it.

2.      I am thankful for all the big carp that hit my corn during the spring including two personal bests. This was my best year in terms of the number of big carp I caught.

3.      I am thankful for the night DJ outfished me in Narragansett 19-5. I didn’t care that he caught more fish, I was just happy we had so much fun.

4.      I am thankful I reconnected with my cousin Mark. I had fun the two times I visited him in Maine and really enjoyed going to Florida with him and his wife Dotty.

5.      I am thankful for the alligator that blocked my trail while hiking in Florida. Sitting near such an awesome animal was unbelievable. That was probably my favorite thing to happen to me all year.

6.      I am thankful for the loons and bald eagles I saw at Wachusetts Reservoir.

7.      I am thankful for the two moose I saw in New Hampshire

8.      I am thankful for the two times Laurie came to New Hampshire. We always seem to do a lot of things. I get to fish. She eats fudge. We usually have really good luck seeing animals. We eat pizza. We hike out to waterfalls and ponds. She is usually up for anything.

9.      I will always be thankful for my friendship with DP. I have learned so much from him. Besides all the knowledge he has shared, I have fun just fishing with him. He talk about family, politics and have a bunch of laughs. We take pictures for each other when one of us catches a memorable fish. I do not have many true friends but Dave and Laurie are certainly among them

10.  I am thankful for my 2004 Santa Fe. This may sound odd, but I have put 200000 miles on it and I know her best days are behind her. I’ve had to put some money into it, but it has been reliable and always gotten me home. Of those 200000 miles many of those were driving to and from fishing, New Hampshire, or other road trips. It has seen western national parks and been to the Outer Banks, NC. It’s the first vehicle I have owned that I loved driving.

11.  I wrote this last year but it holds true. I am thankful for mountain lakes, summits, and waterfalls. I am awed at the site of them all.

12.  I am and always will be grateful to live in the greatest country in the world!!!

                            Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment