Friday, November 22, 2013

Breaking the Ice on Wintertime Stripers

Okay, there was no ice. I meant that the wintertime striper fishery has started. With most of the southbound stripers gone, the best game in town is the wintertime fishery. All along the east coat, there are places stripers winter over. The most famous of these is the Thames River in Connecticut. I am lucky enough to have stripers wintering over in Upper Narragansett Bay.

I've checked this fishery out a few times since mid-October. Last year, these fish were around all fall into the winter. This year, I blanked every time up until early this week. I am happy the fish are back. I caught three on Wednesday and seven tonight. I've been arriving late, and lucky to catch the fish as most have been caught just after dark. Some of the regulars have been averaging ten to fifteen fish a night all week. Lesson learned, I will be arriving earlier.

Welcome back my striped friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment