Monday, November 11, 2013

A Day at Paynes Prairie


Paynes Prairie State Preserve is a 21000 acre natural area in northern Florida. It is just south of
Gainesville. It is roughly 45 minutes north of the Silver Springs tourist attraction.  The preserve has many different natural habitats so in turn; there is quite the variety of animal life. The environment ranges from pine forest to open swamp. There is a huge variety of birds. From wading birds to songbirds and birds of prey it is a birders dream. It also has some animals not normally associated with Florida. There is a bison (buffalo) herd on the prairie. Four herds of wild horses for a total of 36 individuals. 



Bobcat
My cousin Mark dropped me off before 8 am with my bike. I paid my admission and rode my bike to the Visitor Center. The VC didn’t open until 9 am. There is a fifty foot observation tower behind it. From the top I immediately saw the bison herd to my 2 o’clock. I got down from the tower and rode my bike on the Cones Dike Trail in the direction of the bison. I couldn’t see them from the trail.
After two miles of bike riding I decided to walk. I locked my bike to a tree. Almost immediately I spotted a bobcat. It was the first bobcat I ever saw.  On the trail I saw two gators. Both were in mudholes with bushes and reeds between the gators and me.  I really couldn’t get any pictures. Further along I came across four river otters playing on the trail. As I got closer they gracefully slid into the water. I turned around at the end of trail.

On my way back to my bike, I was thinking about how lucky I was. I already saw 2 deer (on bike ride to visitor center), bobcat, 2 gators, and four otters along with hundreds if not thousands of warblers.  At the last turn just before my bike, a huge gator was out of the water sunning itself. It was at least 10 feet if not twelve. Unfortunately for me, it was blocking the trail between me and my bike. I thought for a minute and came up with three options. Sit and wait it out, try to get around the gator by skirting the far side of the trail. The third option was to wait a few minutes and if the gator didn’t leave, try to get by it. Since I had no plans on being eaten, I chose option number one and waited it out.

I sat about twenty five feet from the gator. I took a ton of pictures. I would try to get pics of it from different angles from my side of the trail. Truthfully, I marveled at being so close to such an incredible apex predator. I just lived in the moment and soaked it in. After about 45 minutes it finally moved back into the water.
I got back to my bike and peddled the two miles back to the trailhead.  On the way back I spooked another gator that was sunning. It took off into the water before I got close to it. This one was a little more pedestrian, going about seven feet. After I got back to the trailhead I went inside the visitor center. I talked to the two rangers for a few minutes. I showed them the picture of the bobcat. They told me about a trail that was to far for me to get too (25 minute ride by car).
Turkey Vultures
Then I went to Lake Wauberg. I hiked the Lake Trail and then the Chacala Trail. After I got done with those two trails it was getting close to the time I was to be picked up. On my way out of the park, I saw a flock of wild turkeys right at the admission gate. It was a good way to end a great day.

If you go…

Paynes Prairie is in northern Florida near the town of Micanopy. It is easily reached from I-75.  It costs six dollars for a car. It cost me $2 on my bike. There is a campground for both tents and RVs. The campground cost $18 plus tax. The preserve does have poisonous snakes. I did not see snakes of any kind, but they would be more active during warmer weather. Obviously, there are alligators. The trail the ranger told me about was the LaChua Trail. You have to leave the main entrance and drive north on Route 441. It is 25 minute drive to reach.  The ranger told me horses are regularly seen from that trail. One ranger told me he hears Feral pigs in that area all the time. Grab a map at the entrance for all trails including the ones on the north side

No comments:

Post a Comment