Sunday, November 27, 2016

Enjoying the Holidays Outside the Box

Last year I wrote a blog post giving advice for enjoying the holidays. Don't worry, I wasn't telling you that my way is the right way. On the contrary, my advice is to make the season as enjoyable as you can doing the things you enjoy and weeding out the ones you don't. If you want to read it here is the link.
http://southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2015/12/advice-for-enjoying-holidays.html

This year, I spent quite a bit of time looking up Christmas and Holiday things to do. I've already gone to three church bazaars. Laurie and I have a few special things planned. Unfortunately, unlike my outdoor hobbies (hiking, fishing, camping, photography), most Christmas stuff is not free. Of course some things are like light displays, but our Friday nights will be inside venues. These are a few things we are doing or have done. Maybe, something on my list will be something you may want to go to. That is the whole point of the blog, right? To inspire others.

Dec 2  Boston Pops

 Laurie and I are going to do something that has been on my bucket list for years. We are going to a Boston Pops Holiday Concert at Symphony Hall in Boston. The Pops have shows running almost every day in Dec. We got middle priced tickets. I'm really looking forward to Keith Lockhart and the Pops playing carols.

Dec 9 A Christmas Carol

There are multiple places to see the Dickens classic. I opened up a newspaper to the "Events Calander" and it had no less than four places within an hour drive. Laurie has had this on her bucket list. We are going to the show at the Stadium Theater in Woonsocket.Ticket prices are $ 21/26 The most famous showing in my area is at Trinity Rep in Providence. I like the Stadium Theater. We got third row seats for twenty six dollars. How can you go wrong?

Dec 16 Jackie

Not really holiday related but the movie Jackie about Jackie Kennedy opens on this date. We will be going to see it at the little Dedham Community Theater. I'm sure there will be hot chocolate at some point as we drive there. Since I am such a fan of JFK, this is like a present to myself.

Best Christmas Pagent Ever

The Attleboro Community Theater has multiple plays a year. Last year I took DJ's sisters to see "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" This year their December play (running Fri,Sat, Sun Dec2-18) is the "Best Christmas Pagent Ever".  We don't have tickets yet, but I will be taking Amber and Laurie. My friend Clay Groves who lives in North Conway, NH is actually in this same play at his local playhouse up north.

A Carol's Christmas and Cup of Cheer both at the Arctic Playhouse

Both of these Christmas themed events take place at the Arctic in Warwick, RI. The tickets are super cheap. A Carol's Christmas is about Charles Dickens friendship with a woman named Carol. Cup of Cheer, from what I can tell is more short skits, singing, and hot chocolate. Seems like it will be a lot of fun.
Laurie with a homemade apple pie
she made a few years ago

Baking

Laurie and I put one day aside for baking during the season. She bakes cookies for work (and us) while I make chocolate creme pies for work (and us). Although it can get a little monotonous, the thought of people appreciating them is worth it. I have other friends that make homemade candy, homemade fudge, and pecan pies.

Christmas Displays

At least twice we will go to LaSalette to see the huge display of lights and drink hot chocolate.

Christmas Movies

When Laurie comes over on Christmas Eve we watch a favorite Christmas movie. This year we are watching one we have not seen in thirty years a Walt Disney classic "Babes in Toyland" starring Tommy Kirk and Annette Funicello. Instead of watching one we know every line to, this time I'm looking forward to it.



Other Fun Christmas things we have done in the past

Old Sturbridge Village Christmas by Candlelight
Carolers at Sturbridge Village


During December Old Sturbridge Village is not open the standard 9-5 hours. Instead it opens up Friday-Sunday in the evening for Christmas by Candlelight. We went last year and had a blast. I got to eat chestnuts roasted on an  open fire and spicy ginger candy. There are multiple things going on each hour from poetry readings, concerts to horse drawn carriage rides. We had a great time. You can check out their website   https://www.osv.org/event/christmas-by-candlelight
or my blog post from the day
http://southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2015/12/old-sturbridge-village-christmas-by.html

Jordan's Furniture Enchanted Village

The Jordan's in Avon becomes a Winter Wonderland during the holidays. There is an Enchanted Village which are classic scenes from years of old with old tyme statues. There is also a Laser Light Show set to music. There is an indoor skating rink that is not made of ice and lastly a Polar Express ride that is in 4 D. It is a good time, but it is crowded.

Holiday Pops

This year I'm going to see Keith and the pops, but last year I went to another Pops concert at the Stadium Theater. Same idea I'm sure Christmas songs. I really liked it.

So there you have it, my Christmas Season along with other ideas from the past. of course, the holiday ideas are endless. Some people like going to The Nutcracker the opera is DEFINITELY not my thing. There are multiple playhouses in many cities. I chose the ones I'm going to because they are close, inexpensive, and I like the venues. Food is a big part of the holidays, hot chocolate, baked goods, and eggnog have a place. Hopefully I've given at least one person some new ideas. Be creative, the season is awesome no matter what holiday you celebrate, go enjoy it. You know what happens after the holiday season?

January- A big pile of SUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment