Saturday, December 19, 2015

Advice for enjoying the holidays

Last year Laurie and I went to Jordan's
Furniture in Avon. They have an Enchanted
 Village, Laser Light Show, Skating Rink,
and a Motion Odyssey Movie Ride  
I love Christmas time. I have spent more than half of the days the last two weeks doing holiday things. I know so many people that say this "I can't wait for the holidays to be over" or "it's so stressful" I don't understand these people.

I know there are plenty of people out there that are having a tough time during the holidays. I'm friendly with a twenty year old girl whose dad died this week. No matter what, she is going to have a shitty holiday and my heart goes out to her.

I know how expensive the holidays can be. I had a son that wanted the expensive electronics just like everyone else. No matter what, we all want to buy our kids everything we can. Money is a stress that is real. No amount of anything you read below will change the fact an Iphone costs a few hundred dollars. But if the holiday season hinges on a four hundred dollar PS4 then we are probably all missing the point anyway

The people that I don't understand are those that worry about unimportant things and give themselves needless stress. So for those people I give you this free advice.

1. Do as much shopping as you can online. I know a lot of people are doing this. I live near Emerald Square Mall. When I was younger, I couldn't get near Route 1 on Black Friday. This year I went over Route 1 on the I-295  bridge three times and never once was there back up traffic.

2. Do your shopping during non-peak hours. Why the hell do so many of you go Christmas shopping the last Saturday before Christmas at noon time?

3. Try to go to Lasalette during weekdays. For those of you that don't live in this area, Lasalette Shrine is one of the largest Christmas displays in the world. It is on a two lane road many miles from the highway. Traffic can back up for miles. The only people that should be going on weekends are those that live 45 minutes away or locals that work second shift during the week. Laurie and I went at 7 pm on Tuesday (it closes at 9). There wasn't any traffic at all.

4.This is important so read up! If you don't like doing something and you can get away without doing it, then don't do it. I hate wrapping presents more than just about anything in the world. I can't get out of that. However, if there are traditions or obligations you don't want to do because of undo stress than stop doing them.

Take Lasalette for example. If it is your tradition to go there the last weekend before Christmas, my guess is you probably despise the thought of going more than you look forward to it. What fun is that?

If you make candies, pies, fudge, or cookies for people but hate doing it, then stop. Give them a card instead. Why put yourself through hell baking if you don't enjoy doing it. I make about 12 chocolate creme pies for the managers at work. I don't mind "pie day" but if I start hating it, then I'm going to stop making them.

The same is true about any other obligation. If you get invited to a Christmas party that you don't want to go to, then don't.You don't owe it to anyone to be there. I'm not saying to be a hermit, but if you really don't want to go, no one is probably going to miss you anyway, because they will be having their own fun.If you enjoy decorating your yard, then please keep doing so, but if you hate setting everything up and it isn't worth it to you, then why the hell are you doing it?

 I went to a play last Friday "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause" that said, I don't really like "A Christmas Carol" so I don't go. I went to a Holiday Pops concert last night. I bought tickets because I thought it would be fun. I was excited to go.

The holidays should be fun. Set your priorities to do the things you really enjoy. Try to eliminate the things you don't enjoy.

5. Christmas time is fun for kids,so look through it through there eyes. One thing I learned raising my son, Christmas is more fun as a parent than a kid. I loved making my kid happy. When we did fun holiday things, I tried not to be in a bad mood. I loved my dad, and don't have anything negative to say about him, but he had a short fuse. If we got stuck in traffic or parking lots were full, he would start yelling and swearing. Needless to say, that can ruin the night for everyone. If you take your kids to look at lights, shopping, or any other  Christmas themed event, try to stay calm even if things don't go your way. For the kids sake.


6. Try to help others have a fun Christmas. You will enjoy it more. Now that DJ is grown up and chasing girls, I don't have him as my hang around buddy as much. When I went to the play, I took his little sisters. They had fun (the older one liked the play more) and I got to see the kids enjoy their night.

When I bought 15 boxes of pudding, milk, and fifteen pie crusts at Walmart with Laurie (who bought all her ingredients for making oatmeal-cranberry-white chocolate chip cookies), the cashier jokingly said she is working Christmas Eve so she expected a pie or cookies. So Laurie and I are going to drop some off on Christmas Eve when she is working. What's it going to hurt to make an extra 6 cookies, so why the hell not?

So that is my advice, enjoy the holidays to the fullest. If you don't like turkey, then don't make it every year just because your parents did. Do whatever makes you and your family happy and try to make the season fun. Try to eliminate the things you don't enjoy and add or try new things that you will. Also, if you have any desire to wrap my presents for me, there will be all you can drink eggnog for you!

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment