Friday, November 4, 2016

Huge Blues

Before today, I have only caught five blues that were real gators that I was sure were over 10-11 pounds in my life. Two of them were this year. One in August and another last week that was probably the biggest of my life (until today).

Today I walked into some hot bluefish action. In the first place I went, I caught ten blues and I'd say the average size was fifteen pounds! I got a couple "small" ones that were about ten pounds, but the rest were true giants. I'm sure two of the biggest were closer to twenty pounds than to fifteen! The blues were on adult menhaden. I was using lures and the old stand by popper was quite effective. After I lost my two poppers, I switched to the Rebel Jumping minnow. The hits kept coming.

While I was catching these fish, so were a  lot of other guys. For a couple hours, at any one point at least one of the guys behind me would have a fish on. There were actively feeding fish slamming the menhaden, but I got most of my fish when they were not showing. ALWAYS MAKE SOME CASTS!

At high tide (11am) the fish stopped hitting. I went to another spot. I had to work for it, but hooked into another gator on a Jointed Redfin.  Later on I hit the avenues in 'gansett. Again, I had to work for them but I found fish. I hooked three more huge blues. At this point I was looking for bass and hooked the fish on a wooden egg/ jig combo.

Later in the day, I went back to my original spot. No one was fishing this stretch of shoreline when I got there. I walked out to a point where I could see nervous water. Within five casts I hooked into another huge blue. While I was fighting it my friend Dave showed up. He landed a very nice keeper bass. I had the lucky spot, I ended up getting seven more.

Once I started catching fish all the guys that were standing around started casting. They started landing fish. Who knows how many they would have caught if they would have been fishing the whole time?

After the fishing slowed Dave and I went to another spot. We landed about ten schoolies a piece on Cocahoes. Finally well after dark we went to a backwater spot. I caught five or six stripers and five hickory shad. Dave put on a clinic on how to catch fish on every cast. He easily caught twenty five (or more) combined shad and stripers. It was a great way to end an absolutely fabulous day fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment