Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Never leave fish!

In my last post you saw that Jeff, myself and a bunch of other guys caught many keeper stripers Friday. At the bottom of the post I wrote " the fish were still biting when we left". I know that fish were hitting all night for various fishermen. Some of the stripers were over 40 inches. Some guys fished this spot in the wee hours of the night.  I am very happy for these guys. I don't get jealous, if anything, I root for other fishermen to do well.

When we left between Jeff and myself we caught four keepers up to 36 inches, a couple schoolies and one big bluefish. That would be a good night striper fishing. However... we did leave while they were biting. We were soaked and had been out all day and had an hour ride home.

The next night Jeff went back to the same location. Who can blame him? The fishing was great the night before ( and the night before that when we were not there) he certainly expected some good fishing. I could not go because I had to work Saturday and Sunday and was on call both days after work.  There were twice as many fishermen as Friday and only one fish was caught.

Sunday he went back again, Jeff was the only one there (again I was on call). He didn't get any that night. Jeff knows how to fish. There is no doubt in my mind if fish were there, he would have caught them.

The lesson is this... Don't leave fish. You never know if they will be there next time. We were wet but we had been wet for three hours. We had been out all day but whats another hour...

Don't leave fish especially big ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment