Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How they were caught

Someone pointed out on one of my posts that I didn't give very much infomation on how I was catching fish. So I thought I'd give some advice for those fishing for the same species I have been fishing for.

The catfish I were catching a couple weeks ago were caught on hot dogs. They were cut into pieces about 3/4 of an inch and put on size two hooks. I was using bait runner reels. when the fish would run I would set the hook. I will tell you that of the five or so times  I went I only caught one white catfish. The key to catching white cats is to find a pond with a decent population of them. Most places are loaded with bullheads but places like Lake Tiogue and Mashpee Wakeby do have white catfish.

Bass

All the bass fishing I have been doing has been from shore. I've been walking the shoreline. Other than one day all my fishing has been done the couple hours before dark. When I first started fishing there I was using live crawfish. I switched from that to two lures. I have been using a Pop-R and two inch shad bodies on 1/8 jig heads. Those two lures have been accounting for all the bass I've been catching. Try the topwater after the sun goes below the tree line. 

The last two outings however, I haven't done to well. I'm hoping tonight will be better.

Trout

The fishing up in New Hampshire could not have been better. Catching eighty trout in less than eight hours of fishing is NOT BECAUSE OF SKILL, but because I found a couple of huge schools. The key was to keep moving until I found them. I caught them on anything I threw at them. Small Kastmaster spoons, sinking Rapalas, and small shad bodies. I needed pictures of a couple quality fish so I kept fishing even when I knew " Enough is enough". I just kept hoping for a big one. I got a couple decent ones.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to go fishing for freshwater fish. I will try to put more technical stuff in these posts for now on. As for sharing spots sometimes I can't

Better?

No comments:

Post a Comment