Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day- Night Doubleheader

I had Thursday and Friday off from work this week. I did absolutely nothing on Thursday except go to my son's cross country meet in the afternoon. Although I love watching my son compete and enjoyed that 18 minutes of my day, I was determined to have more than 18 minutes of fun on Friday.

Friday morning I went carp fishing. I realized this week I had not caught a carp this month. September 21 is a little to close for comfort so I decided to give carp a shot during the day.  I fished a spot that I had done well in the spring but really shuts off during the summer. I didn't get a hit for the first two hours. During that time Jeff called me and asked if I wanted to go to the ocean. I said yes and he told me we would leave about noon. Five minutes after Jeff and I got off the phone I got my first ( and only) hit. After a long battle I landed the fish. It was thirty inches long with a 22 inch girth. It was estimated at between 20-24 pounds. I took some pictures and let it go.

I caught the fish on regular old sweet corn in the orange/ white can from Stop and Shop. I will say this, sweet corn wasn't the best choice. Sunfish kept ripping it off the hook withot me knowing. I reeled in empty hooks a few times. Until the water gets a little cooler, field corn would be better because it stays on the hook better. I did not have any on hand so I used the sweet corn.

Night

I got home about 11:30 had some lunch and packed for an afternoon in 'gansett. Jeff picked me up and he drove down to South County. We hit a variety of spots all the way from Watch Hill back to Narragansett. The only fish we could find were snapper blues.

Near dark we went out to our final destination. There was a ten minute walk then we started fishing.  My friend Dave was fishing with his son Ben. There were a couple other guys I had talked to a few times. Within minutesI got a big bluefish. I'd guess just under 10 pounds. After that it was quiet until dark. Then keeper stripers started hitting. Without question Ben had the best night. Dave also caught quite a few fish. Jeff got a striper about 34 inches long. I ended up with 4 stripers. Three were keepers. The sizes were 28, and two were 36 inches. Most everyone else caught their fish on swimmers. I got mine on 3/4 ounce jighead and 4 inch shad bodies. Fish were still hitting when we left.  I had a lot of fun.



1 comment: