Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My new surf bag

The bag that I have taken saltwater fishing with me the last couple years isn't really a surf bag. It was really a small over the shoulder cooler for the beach. I prefer fishing "light" carrying everything I need but as little as possible. The problem with this bag is/was the top was small so it was tough to get stuff in and out of. Taking out baggies full of small plastic was a pain in the bum. So I decided I needed a new surf bag. Because surf bags by definition are used in saltwater, they take a beating. The cheap ones ( cheap being a relative term) are about $30 bags go up in price from their. Aquaskinz, a high end but well respected manufacturer sells their bag for $ 250 ( not a typo and no decimal point). I obviously could not spend that money on a bag. I am also afraid the cheaper bags will corrode in a couple years.

Also, I don't want to be the fishing snob with a $250 bag. Many of those guys don't know how to fish anyway. They think because they own expensive gear they are somehow in a special club. One thing I have learned, expensive gear does not catch you more fish. Time and knowledge do. Besides, its a bag not a reel with a nice drag to help land big fish. A surf bag is nothing more than a box to hold gear. Two hundred dollars... really!

So what to do? I found out about some great surf bags. These bad boys don't rust or corrode. If anything breaks, they are very easily fixable yourself. You do not need to throw it away. It will not tear or rip. It has a nice wide mouth on top for easy access to your gear. It is made with an adjustable shoulder strap.  Also they can be made with as many or as few compartments as you want. Totally customizable!!!!

The most amazing part of this bag is the price. With all the great features ( see them all below) you would expect to pay top dollar for a bag like this. Keep in mind most of the cheaper bags are in the forty dollar range. This bag cost me a grand total of about six bucks. That's right $ 6.00

Here are some pictures to show you some of the great features of the bag.  Look at all the pictures of the features before you check out the brand name in the bottom two pictures.
Adjustable shoulder strap. Only some companies actually make them adjustable.
Completely waterproof top. Most bags are canvas and water will get in.
Aluminum rivets and bolts. No more rust for me.

Outside compartment for easy access to flashlight and pliers

Instead of zippers, Velcro is used so no more zippers that won't zip.
Big wide mouth with easy access and plenty of room for all my gear














If you want one this is the brand
Yup, my new surf bag is homemade from a kitty litter box. How awesome is that!!!

1 comment: