Thursday, February 23, 2012

The February carp that made for a good story

I complained yesterday that I wasn't sure how much time I would have to go carp fishing before the end of the month. I really wanted to catch a carp before March 1.  Since I caught one in January, I want to keep a streak going. As of last night I had not caught one this month. I wanted to fish all day today and tomorrow. This time of year its a waiting game. You just hope a carp will hit. My game plan was just to fish until I finally caught one. Not much skill really, just patience.

Then I found out I might have to work both days. So I could not out wait carp, so I did the next best thing, I went to work earlier than normal, so I could get out earlier than normal.  I hit the water about 1:30 this afternoon. I pulled up to my spot and it was taken. I asked the guy at the spot if he caught any. I started setting up my gear at the next opening. The guy at the spot I was going to fish told me there was plenty of room to fish near him. I asked him if he was sure. He said no problem so I set up about 8 feet from his pole.  We introduced ourselves. My new fishing partner was a guy from Seekonk  named Manny.

My first ever February carp
After only a few minutes, Manny hooked a fish on worms. He was fishing for suckers.  This was a carp. I only had my bridge net with me. I left my carp net at home. The bridge net is not made for a scooping a fish from shallow water while you are standing on shore.  Manny slid the fish into the net, I started lifting the net out of the water and it turned over. The carp fell back into the water. Worse than that, the hook came out and the carp swam away. You can not imagine how bad I felt about that. I could make all the excuses I want, but the truth is the carp was in the net and I let it get out.  Manny took this well. He really wanted to catch a carp. I'm not sure if he ever caught one before, he said he had two on last year but they came off.

A little while later, I hooked a carp. It was good sized, maybe 10 pounds. It was short but very fat and already loaded with eggs. Manny landed it for me. He was even nice enough to take a picture for me. Talk about pouring salt on a wound. " Hey guy I just met, I know I just screwed you out a carp, but would you mind getting a picture of mine for me" He was cool and we talked about all kinds of fishing.

 After I let mine go I explained my whole goal for the day was to catch a carp in February. Now that I accomplished that, I told him if any of my rods went off again he could take that fish. He was still using worms on his rod. Although he hooked a carp on worms, using corn on my rods gave him a better chance of hooking one. Also I had heavier line, so the chances of landing it were better also.

Thirty minutes after this guy invited me to fish with him ( Manny)
I lost his carp on him while trying to net it.
I'm glad he hooked another and I got a chance to redeem myself
About a half hour later, one of my rods started getting bumps. A minute later the line took off. Manny set the hook and caught a carp. Although it was on my rod, it was completely his fish. He picked it up, set the hook and fought the fish to shore. I was much smoother with the net and did not fumble his fish back into the water. After a couple pictures he let it go. It was also full of eggs. We shook hands and he thanked me for letting him have that one. Its nice to fish with people that appriciate a good gesture, but I was just returning the favor for him letting me fish next to him.

I had to leave after that. I had gotten a phone call from work and had to take care of something. All in all, a great two hours fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment