Friday, December 16, 2011

Clay, is this a mummy?

In what is definitely my first post ever directed directly at another blog, I have a question for you, Clay.

As the person I know that knows the most about small fish I ask what is this? I assume it is a banded killfish or mummy. I was at Little Pond in Plymouth, MA yesterday. There were a bunch of these little guys dead on one shoreline, maybe a dozen.  This one was about 2 1/4 inches long, the biggest about 4 inches. I saw one swimming in the lake, but he was the only live one I saw.

Mass Wildlife has pond maps online. The map of Little Pond does not say any fish species of small size except golden  shiners, but the last time the pond was sampled was many years ago. Obviously they could have been introduced at any time. Or these could be bait from a previous fisherman with only the one remaining.


I do know that banded killfish and mummies look a lot a like, if you think it is one of those but can't tell any more than that, I will try Mass Wildlife. I do not think they are any form of dace or chubs, but hey, that's why I am asking you

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Mummi to me, but the difference between a banded killi and a mummi are slight, I'll check my books when I get home. You may want to ask this same question to Micro-fishing.com you can link to them on facebook...
    Thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete