Thursday, December 15, 2011

Little Pond Search for Salmon ( kind of)

As you know, I have been really wanting a shot at broodstock salmon this winter. If you read the post below, obviously,I have very little chance of catching one. Yesterday I got information ( from Jeff) that the salmon were stocked this week in Little Pond, Plymouth.That said, we didn't know what day ( maybe even tomorrow), but we did hear that only six would be stocked. SIX!!! Even in a lake called  Little Pond,  finding one of six salmon in a forty acre pond is tough. Factor in that if someone caught one and kept it, our chances drop 17%.

Then again, what is 17% of almost zero. We decided to go down to Little today despite the fact in our hearts we knew we were not going to catch a salmom. We left at 6:30 this morning. I left my map book at home, so it took a little while to find it. I have only fished Little once, on Easter. www.southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/04/trout-trifecta.html So my memory of the directions were a little fuzzy. It took a little over an hour to get there.  I bought shiners the night before and planned on floating them under a bobber in case a salmon was hungry. 

No luck for salmon. We did not see any. I did hear one guy say he caught one two days ago ( this meant they were stocked and also my chances of catching one were down at least 17%!). We did get a couple of trout. I caught a brown trout and Jeff a brookie. I also picked up a small bass. The state only stocks rainbows in the fall. That means the two trout we caught were holdovers from at least this spring. They were very healthy looking fish. Jeff's brookie was in its spawning colors.  I did not get any pictures. It was rainy and drizzly. I didn't want to take the camera out of the car in that weather. I assure you, the trout were caught. If they were a fish story or a figment of my imagination, I would have caught the gorgous brookie in spawning colors.

So to sum up, we knew we were not catching any salmon, so it wasn't a disappointment. We fished for 4 hours and only caught three fish total. Yet, I caught only my third ( or fourth I have to look in my reports) brown trout of the year. Jeff caught his first brook trout this year, actually his first in a long time. I caught a trout at a lake I had never caught a fish before. Lastly, as best I can remember, the two fish I caught today, may be the first freshwater fish I have ever caught in December. It was 50 degrees, 10 days before Christmas and I caught a fish... so I'm good

No comments:

Post a Comment