Monday, December 19, 2011

After Christmas Shopping Fishing...

After doing some way to late in the season Christmas shopping, I did some spur of the moment fishing tonight. I was driving through Providence and decided to give some winter time stripers a shot. I've gone a couple of times so far this winter without any luck.

I tried a couple of different spots. At the first I snagged a menhaden on a zoom fluke. It was unintentional, but I assumed some stripers would be under them. I fished the area for a while. I bumped into a few more menhaden but didn't get any stripers to hit.

This poor menhaden that I accidently snagged tonight has taken a beating
I went up into the city and fished there for a while. I caught a small schoolie striper. It was not big but it was my first winter striper this year. I hoped it would be in a school, but no such luck.

I then went back to my first spot. It had a few guys fishing it including two that I know. I saw a hickory shad and menhaden get caught. Then a minute after that I hooked a hickory, only to have it come off a few feet from shore. The next cast I snagged another menhaden. Its cool how all these fish are schooling up together. I have no interest in snagging menhaden, but hooking into one and then a different species the next cast was kind of cool. I bet there are some white perch and maybe even a bluefish in the upper bay also.

So I am glad I had a fun night. I caught a couple of fish.In a weird oddity, I caught a menhaden in December before I caught a striper. I would have loved to get into a school of hickorys. Those little guys are so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment