Saturday, October 22, 2011

My buddy Amber

Last night my buddy Amber slept over. I didn't tell her, but my plan for this morning was to take her kayaking. Amber loves going out in the kayak. Before today we had gone twice this year. The first was just out to Falls Pond. The second time was when we went camping in Rhode Island.

Today, we waited until 9 am before loading the kayaks. I wanted it to warm up a little first. It turned out to be a nice day. The high I guess was about 65 degrees. I didn't actually have a plan until after we put the kayaks on the car. I ended up choosing to kayak Olney Pond in Lincoln Woods. We put the yaks in at the boat ramp and headed across the pond. There was a breeze kicking up waves on the launch side, so we headed to the lee side of the pond. We paddled that half of the pond. We landed at the beach. We used the porta john. Then we fished a little bit from the beach without any luck. We paddled back to the car and after loading the kayaks we went home for lunch.

This afternoon was the Rhode Island chapter of the Carp Anglers Groups semi-annual fish in. A fish in is a group get together. We fish for a few hours. Exchange infomation, and talk about the lakes the carp are hitting in. Since Amber was still over, I dragged he to the fish in. I promised her we would only be there a couple hours. It started at 3 pm. I assumed if we made it until 5 pm before she got to bored, it would be an accompishment.

About 8 of us showed up. My friend Dave is the president of the RI chapter.He is in charge of when and where the fish ins take place. This one was at Scotts Pond in Lincoln Rhode Island. Unfortunately, the fish were not hitting and when I left no one had caught a carp. To keep Amber entertained I brought a trout rod and worms. It was good that I did since the carp were not co operating.

After an hour of talking and no fish, we got out the worms. Within minutes Amber was into fish. She landed a sunfish and was pretty excited to be the first person to catch fish. We only had seven worms. So she wasn't going to have hours of panfishing. She ended up catching six sunfish and one white perch. The perch was the first one she ever caught. When the worms ran out it was almost dark. I figured she had enough and it was time to go. When we got in the car I realized it was 6:45. She buckled her seatbelt and told me she had a really fun day. I was happy about that. Its always cool to watch a little kid have fun, especially when its doing your favorite hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment