Monday, October 10, 2011

It was the best of times, It was the worst of times...

It seems like every time I go fishing on my two days off, I will have one day of good fishing and one day of not so good to terrible fishing. Last weeks days off were no exception. I went fishing on both Thursday and Friday. Here is how it went.

The best of times...

Not knowing where I was going fishing until I got up I decided to go trout fishing down in Plymouth, MA. DJ had to stay home from school on Thursday because he was throwing up all day Wednesday. The school has a policy where you can not return to school within 24 hours of vomiting. So for him it was a free day from school. He was still week, but the throwing up was over. So when I got up early, and he was lying in bed, I knew I couldn't abandon him all day.

I went fishing for a couple hours in the am at Whitings Pond. All the ponds that get a fall stocking of trout where stocked this week.  I could see trout in front of me, but they were picky. I ended up catching two. One was a holdover from the spring. It was skinny but made it through the summer.Around noon, I came home and got DJ.

Under the premise that fresh air is good for you, I picked DJ up and headed down the Cape. We stopped at the Cape Cod Canal. I told him we would not fish saltwater unless we saw fish. We checked a few spots but didn't find any. WE drove to Scusset Beach and looked there. After we scouted we went to a sub shop for lunch. We got Italian grinders. Probably not the best choice for DJ since it upset his stomach a little.

After lunch we went to Myles Standish State Park to fish Fearings Pond. DJ's belly hurt so he just grabbed his book and sat at a picnic table soaking up the fresh air and sun. I started fishing next to him. I caught two trout really quickly on a silver Kastmaster. I knew the trout would still be bunched up so I set off looking for the school. I worked the shoreline for a few hundred yards then I hit the jackpot. I casted into a shaded cove and started hooking one trout after another. After my eighth, I walked back to DJ and told him this wasn't fishing it was catching. We was enjoying his book and didn't want to fish. So I made the walk back and caught a bunch more. I started getting bored after my 19th, so I walked to the car to get my fly rod. By the time I got back ( about 15 minutes round trip)  they were just out of casting range. I landed one more. All told I caught 22 trout and easily could have caught more if I didn't walk to tell DJ or got my fly rod. I fished Fearings for about two hours. Ten trout an hour is fun, wish I could have had some of that luck the following day...

The worst of times...

Again, I woke up with ideas of where to fish but no actual game plan. My thoughts were the ocean or Wachusetts. I still want to catch fish out of " the Chu" and its my only real option for lake trout and landlocked salmon. Also smallmouth fishing is supposed to be great, however, I can't seem to find them. I chose to go to the Chu. My logic was, if fishing sucks I could always leave early and go to the ocean later. So I was on the road about 7:30.

As usual, I tried for lakers and smallmouth. I tried shiners on the bottom and lures for both bass and the trout. I only landed to small bass. I fished from 8:30- until 3:30. I hit multiple spots and definitely put in my time. I ran across a biologist and asked a bunch of questions. He said salmon will be running in a couple weeks. I told him the spots I hit and he was surprised no fish were hitting. We both agreed fishing would have been better on a rainy crappy day. It was a beautiful blue sky with 80 degree temps. So I went home empty handed from there again.

Salt on the wound...

The next morning checking my favorite sites online, I checked my friend Dave's blog. On Friday ( my day at Wachusetts) Dave was in Narragansett. Possibly the largest blitz to happen in years took place right along the shoreline. For FIVE miles bass, blues and albies were blitzing bay anchovies along the shore. The bass were all keepers size or bigger. The bluefish were the big ones over ten pounds. If I would have decided to go to the ocean instead of the Reservoir, I could have caught large bass and blues on every cast all day long. Yes I was sick to my stomach after reading that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment