Friday, October 14, 2011

Kind of a weird week

One of the employees at work this week had a medical issue this  week so I didn't get any days off. It was just easier to work everyday than to try to figure out what to do if there was an emergency. Unfortunately, I kind of needed to stay close to home, just in case there was a problem at work. Basically, I was on call all week. Still I got out of work most days about 3:30 so I did do some fishing.

Last week I went fishing with Jeff Henderson, while we were fishing he slipped in the water and ruined his phone. On top of that he got a new job. He only found out late last Friday. Monday was Columbus Day, so he couldn't contact them until Tuesday. With Jeff's phone dying and I didn't know when he was working, I didn't get a chance to fish with him this week.

So because of being on call and not being able to contact one of my fishing buddies, things were not status quo for me. Early in the week, I went to Greenwich Bay and hoped to catch some stripers and blues. I heard they were in the bay pretty thick. I didn't see any, but I did see schools of menhaden way out in the bay. I grabbed my kayak off the car and paddled out. I ended up snagging six. Now that I had the menhaden, I decided to drive to Jamestown to use them for bait. It was pretty late and I assumed no one was gonig to call with a problem at work. I took a calculated risk. Also Jamestown is only about a 50 minute drive so its not like I was in New Hampshire. I tried four spots but couldn't find any fish. I went home with five of my six menhaden.

The next day I stopped at one of my friend Dave's favorite fishing spots to see if he was there.  I had been monitoring the water level and told him the day before it was fishable. He was fishing and walkked over to talk a few minutes. He told me, he had been fishing for an hour and already landed 12 carp. While I was talking to him, he landed four more.  While he was fishing, both rods got hits. I picked up one and landed a  six pounder. It was one of the first times in my life I caught a fish without having a rod and wasn't even fishing. I left and Dave continued to fish. He ended up catching 20. I went back later that night after I picked DJ up from practice. We only fished about an hour and we each caught one. Neither was very big.

After work, I have been doing some trout fishing. One day Laurie got some Wendys and I convinced her to eat it in the fresh air while I fished. We went to Whitings and I caught four rainbows in about 30 minutes. I have gone troutfishing a few times since. Sometimes only for a few minutes between getting out of work and picking DJ up from practice. Since the day I fished while Laurie ate, I haven't had a hit. I've caught a couple small bass on spinners or spoons, but no trout. I know they are there. One night at Falls I watched a school of about 10 swim by within feet of me, but they wanted flies not spinners. By the time I got my fly rod they were gone.

So as ridiculous as this sounds, my best fishing for the week was snagging menhaden and carp fishing without a fishing pole. I should get to the ocean Sunday so hopefully I have better stories than this. Next week I have Friday and Saturday off. I know Saturday morning I am fishing with a few carp buddies. I hope that the weather is good for those days. Here is my plan.

Thurs night after work- ocean ( stripers and blues or more likely nothing)
Friday- Wachusetts in the morning for salmon or at least to see them migrate up river
Friday night if fishing was good in the ocean Thurs, go back
Saturday fishing with carp buddies
Sat night      ???

No comments:

Post a Comment