Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DJ is Killing Me Fishing











I haven't gone out much the last week fishing nearly as much as I would like. With the combination of friends coming over, giving DJ rides and still having this nasty head cold, life has not been about fishing to much. That said, I have gotten out twice since I got home from New Hampshire. Both times DJ has gone with me.


Saturday night we put the canoe in Lake Mirimichi which I think is on the Plainville/ Foxboro line. We brought 4 rods. Two equipped for bass fishing and two rigged with a small shad body and 1/16 oz. jighead for panfish. We never actually ended up bass fishing. The fish were hitting the shad really well. The nice thing about the little shad is anything will hit it. Although we usually use the 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch sizes, you wouldn't believe the variety of fish that will hit it. Big fish will hit it also.The first five pound bass I ever caught was on a two inch shad body and a small jig.


On this Saturday night DJ and I made a one dollar bet on who would catch the most fish. Usually its pretty close when we make this bet. The winner winning by a fish or two. Using the small bait usually means catching a lot of fish. To win, twenty fish is most likely needed. Well I only ended up with thirteen. DJ caught 27! He caught four different species. Largemouth bass, crappie, sunfish and yellow perch. For both of us the dominant species was crappie. It just so happened he doubled me plus one.


On Sunday I was getting texts from my friend Jeff Henderson that bass and blues were busting bait all over a spot in Barrington. I could not go because I had dropped my car at the mechanic Sunday afternoon to be fixed Monday ( my check engine light from my New Hampshire trip). Jeff ended up catching 18 stripers and blues. My car was fixed Monday so I went to Barrington Monday night hoping but not counting on a repeat performance from the fish. Jeff brought his son Matt and I brought DJ.


There were some fish around but they were not thick by any means. Once every ten minutes or so one of us would get a hit. All four of us caught fish. DJ, again, did the best. He landed three fish. Two blues and a striper. We think his striper although by no means a monster was the biggest of the night.


Although DJ likes fishing, like all teenagers he has different priorities. Getting him to go usually involves buying him food first. Sometimes he goes when he has nothing better to do.Looking back at fishing reports through this season, he is having a very good year

No comments:

Post a Comment