Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Believe it- Trout Still Hitting



I hadn't fished for trout since the Friday before Memorial Day in Massachusetts ( the day I got number 100). I figured I had a great spring and since I hope to get to New Hampshire a few times I'd give it up for other species.


Yesterday I felt like casting my fly rod so I drove down Wild Acre Road for a few casts. I really only planned on catching some sunfish to kill time. While I was there a boat came trolling by. I asked the guy if he caught any. To my surprise he said he got a couple rainbows but they were not biting like the day before. He said he got a bunch on Sunday. This surprised me because Falls Pond is a put and take fishery. I thought most of the trout were hiding in what few cool spots were left. So I thought I'd give trout at least one more chance for the year.


I went to the fly fishing only pond later that night. I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew there are enough sunfish and crappie there. So if the trout were all gone or dead, at least I'd have some action. I got to the lake at the same time as two other guys. They were fishing from the shore roll casting. There were some rainbows actively feeding on insects at the surface. It wasn't fast and furious, but enough were there I knew I wasn't wasting my time. Within five minutes I got my first trout.


The two guys on shore didn't catch any last night. However they told me that the night before they caught almost a dozen on wooly buggers. Most of the fish were out towards the middle tonight. They were doing nothing wrong. They just couldn't reach the feeding fish. I ended up catching five rainbows from the kayak and about 10 sunfish. All in the two and a half hours before dark. I couldn't believe how good it was.


The next three days are going to be hot. The temperatures are going to be 85, 91,96. If the trout can make it through this hot spell its supposed to cool off. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday are not going to be above seventy. Fishing might be good until after that. Obviously in the deeper ponds that trout do carry over the trout will survive the next few days, but they will be in deeper water and harder to catch. The smaller shallower ponds that don't thermocline are the ones to worry about. In places like Falls Pond and the warmer creeks trout fishing might be over by Friday but it wasn't as of yesterday!

Oh by the way my streak of consecutive times catching a trout ended while up in New Hampshire. It ended at thirty one. I can definately live with a streak ending after a month of consecutively catching fish every time out. I guess all I can do now is try to beat 31!

No comments:

Post a Comment