Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bourne Braves of the Cape Cod Baseball League





As I wrote in my blogpost last year the Cape Cod Baseball League is a summer baseball league for college baseball players. It is considered to be the premier summer league in the country. One in 7 major leaguers has played in the league. The games are free. Go to any game along the Cape and you won't have to pay anything to get in. The food at the concession stand is very reasonable and the merchandise is nice quality for a decent price. For a night out you really can't beat it.
The games are extremely well played. It is a pitchers league. Although these are the best college hitters, many of the players are using wood bats for the first time. Also because they are all stars the fielding is really good. Many hits that would be hits in a normal college game are outs because of the great fielding in the league. For the most part they are the best players from all around the country. Most of the players in the league will be drafted by pro teams. Many of the kids will be first and second round picks.

Normally I go to the Wareham Gatemen home games. Wareham is the only team in the league on the mainland side of the Bourne Bridge. Its the closest field to get too. Also I love Spillane Field. It has plenty of bleachers and excellent sitelines. Today we went to Bourne and watched the Bourne Braves play against the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. Bourne plays right over the Bourne Bridge at Upper Cape Vocational High School. It is a beautiful field only dedicated in 2007. It was my first time to this field. Its only 1/4 mile from the bridge. There is plenty of parking and seating. There is also plenty of room for folks bringing lawn chairs.

I had a special reason for going to Bourne instead of Wareham. My friend Dave has a son that plays for the Braves. Chris Pickering is a pitcher that goes to URI. Tonight he pitched against Hyannis. While fishing with Dave yesterday, I asked how Chris was doing. When he told me he was in the Cape Cod League and was pitching tonight, there was no way I was missing that! DJ, Laurie and myself went down to the game. The Braves won 5-0. Chris pitched one hell of a game. He went 5 2/3 giving up no runs. He had 4 strikeouts and didn't give up a walk. He dropped his E.R.A. from .8 to .54. He is second in the league in E.R.A. giving up one run in 16.2 innings. Although I don't know Chris well at all, I have seen him pitch before in high school. It was awesome rooting for someone that lives in our area. Local boy making good.


I'm telling you if you like baseball it is worth your time going to a game at any of these fields. The atmosphere is amazing. I've been to my share of Sox games. If they win you feel good, if they loose you feel sick. Going to see these college kids is always a good time. For more info check out my blogpost from last year www.southernnewenglandoutdoors.blogspot.com/2010/06/cape-cod-league-baseball.html and also the league website http://www.capecodbaseball.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment