If you've been in a motel, vistor center, or a gift shop in New Hampshire you have probably picked up pamphlet of at least one of the attractions in the state. One of those pamphlets is for a place called America's Stonehenge. Unlike Storyland, Santa's Village, and Whale's Tail, all of witch are in the White Mountains, America's Stonehenge is in Salem, NH just over the Mass border. A few weeks back Laurie was looking for places to go and stumbled across it online. She asked if I had ever been there and if I'd want to go.
So the week we went to Wachusett Meadow and slept at PAwtuckaway State Park we went to America's Stonegenge on the Wednesday before coming home. The cost of admission is a steep $19. We were the first ones in the parking lot. Inside the Visitor Center we watched the welcome video. The video was very informative. It was a good start to our adventure.
The site is a bunch of stone chambers, walls and standing stones. Thr origins of these stone works could be four thousand years old. The true origins are still up for debate. None the less, I found the stones interesting.
There is a short walk up a hill to the main stones. There is a well defined path to follow. It leads you past the stones in the main area. There are chambers and a large stone table. You can read along on the map to what each of the stops are.
After going through the main area, there are other stones arranged on the property that coincide with things such as the summer and winter solstices and the equinox. These stones line up with where the sun rises and sets. There are also other stones that line up with November sunrise and other dtes. Along this trail you are sure to see Bluebirds. The landscape is perfect for them. Though the stones were interesting, by far my favorite thing were the ripe blackberries I found along trails. I must have eaten three big handfuls.
All in all, America's Stonehenge was interesting. I do think the price was a little steep but then I told myself they are paying taxes on thirty acres of land. I'm glad I went the one time but I won't spend the money to go back. It is ojne of those things that I have known about since I was a kid going into gift shops and picking up the leaflets of the places I wanted to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment