Friday, June 16, 2023

Eastern Musk Turtle (Stinkpot) Lifer for Me

 

Eastern Musk Turtle

   On Wednesday, I got a lifer turtle. the species is called an Eastern Musk Turtle also known as a Stinkpot. They are called Stinkpots because they can release a foul smell from scent glands at the base of the shell. I had researched this species and found out they live in Wakefield, RI. I went there a couple weeks ago with Laurie and Richard Tucker but none were out. 

   I went there on a whim Wednesday to check again because Trustom was closed for trail maintenance. I had time to kill before meeting Charles to go seining. The sun was out but it was only seventy degrees. I had no idea if any turtles would be sunning. I was pumped to see turtles across the river from where I was standing. 

 

All four Musk Turtles
and one Painted are in this
photo

   I had never seen a Musk Turtle before. When I put my binoculars up, I could tell the turtles seemed to be different from the Painted Turtles also sunning. I hoped to get some decent photos before they inevitably scurried for the water. As I neared, every ten yards or so I'd take some photos. It tuned out they had no fear of me. I was a safe distance from them on the path and with the foot traffic they must be accustomed to people. I watched them for a half hour. Not that sunning turtles do a lot of moving. There ended up being four Stinkpots, four more than I had seen in my life. 

   One of the boards in the water had action figures of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The only way to access this board would be with a canoe so someone had some free time on their hands. Somehow, one of the Musk Turtles got under one of the Ninja Turtles without knocking it over. I don't know if Donatello  is nailed or glued down or if the Musk Turtle is just great at maneuvering.

   As lifers go, I couldn't have gotten a better look. I watched them until I was ready to leave.

   








No comments:

Post a Comment