Thursday, October 27, 2022

Type 2

    This is a post i have been stalling on. Not because I'm afraid to write it, but just because I haven't had the motivation. Without going back on all of my posts to confirm, it is a good bet that between my post about Marge in Paris and this one, it is the longest time span between posts.

   Simply put, I haven't had a reason to write. I am still dealing with my back issues that I've had since late June. Though the pain is no longer constant, it can still be really bad. Last night I did not fall asleep until 3 am due to it hurting and that was only after icing it at 2:30. 

  However, I have another problem that is also slowing me down. Last month I was diagnosed with diabetes. As you can imagine, this was not welcome news. Diabetes does run in my family. My mother got it at nineteen. My aunt and my brother both have it. I suspect I was destined to get it at some point.

   The problem I am facing is, because of my back problem, I can not really control the sugar levels with exercise until it heals. The day after I was diagnosed, I went for an easy six mile walk around a pond in the Blue Hills. My back hadn't hurt for a few days and I was told by both my doctor and my Physical Therapist walking was okay. However, walking that far was not okay. After less than three miles my lower back started to swell up and there was pain up my spine. It took almost ten days and three physical therapy sessions for it to get almost pain free. 

  So right now, I am at a stalemate. I can't do much walking or cardio. Also, no matter what I eat, I can not seem to get my blood sugar to go down to optimal levels. I check my blood sugar level multiple times a day, and have eaten extremely healthy. When I have "experimented" with foods I hope to include in my diet, it hasn't gone so well. For example, two weekends ago, Laurie made a pumpkin pie but we used a sugar replacement. Didn't matter, sugar level spiked. 

  I have a doctor appointment a week from tomorrow and I suspect they will up my medication. On top of that, I need a referral for an orthopedic because my PT guy thinks I have a slipped disk and may need a Cortisone shot. Not looking forward to that. I do all my stretches and exercises at home twice a day faithfully but the pain seems to have it a wall in the healing. 

   I write all of this not because you want to read seven paragraphs on my medical history, but so you know why I haven't wrote anything in a month. I really haven't done anything. I have gone fishing twice in the last four months. Once for wild Brook Trout and once for Albies. Both times I was successful. Besides my walk around the pond in the Blue Hills I haven't went on any good hikes. 

   I did go camping twice. Laurie drove and I lied down in the back seat. I took muscle relaxers to fall asleep on both trips. That is the extent of my summer. Two times fishing, two camping trips, and a walk around a pond that basically crippled me for ten days.

   Hopefully I will be better soon. It has been very hard to be optimistic. When you go to bed at 9 pm and you are trying to lie in any position that will make the pain go away for six hours, depression will set in. It was tough to waste away my summer and it has been equally tough to watch these beautiful autumn days slip away knowing that cold weather is just around the corner. 

   None the less, I'll keep doing what I am supposed to. Hopefully the orthopedic and a Cortisone shot will work. I don't have a timetable any more because every time I think "I'll be better in a month" the month comes and goes. I would love to be able to contribute to the Christmas Bird Counts at the end of December but I will have to wait and see.

A special shout out goes to Laurie Devine for being there for me through all of this. I have basically lived at her house for the last month or more because her firm spare bed has been easier on my back. She has been an angel. Also, Dave Pickering calls me at least twice a week to check on me and encourage me. Sine I have fallen off the face of the earth, it is nice that he checks on me. I've had other friends call/text me to see how I'm doing and I appreciate all of you. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment