Saturday, January 29, 2022

An Argument for Do it Yourself Trips, Part 1 The Everglades

 


  While we were in the Everglades, Laurie and I noticed large REI tents at the Lone Pine Key Campground where we stayed a night. There were so many so close together there was no way it could be a coincidence. After five minutes of research on the REI website, we saw that we ran into one of their travel tours.  We read about the itinerary and what is included and not included. Of course we checked out the price. It got me thinking of the benefits of a taking a tour versus the benefits of doing it yourself. 

    Full disclosure, I love to plan vacations. I love doing the research. I have a full size seven foot bookcase full of travel guides, hiking guides, fishing destination books, maps, Backpacker Magazines,and birds from many regions. I can pour over a state atlas for hours looking for petroglyphs, national grasslands, and wilderness areas I've never heard of. So, it goes without saying I am biased towards DIY trips. Also, I like to stretch my money if I can do a ten day trip for a thousand dollars or a six day trip for a thousand dollars, I'm choosing the ten day trip. There are plenty of rich people out there were money does not factor into their decision at all. For me it does.

   When we looked up the itinerary for the Everglades REI trip (link below) triphttps://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/everglades-hiking-cycling.html?fbclid=IwAR1qBZExgFGSZANxrfZlugoHolM9CZzG9YPJTaySgLLQc6ZAjW9et_BSr7A

we realized we had done everything on their trip. So we didn't just have a rough baseline to compare our own journey to theirs, he had the exact trip to compare it to. The only thing we didn't do was a kayak trip. However we did see the rentals while in Flamingo. The most expensive kayak rental is a full day, 8 hr rental for $55. 

To our surprise the four day REI trip cost $1699 for a member and almost two grand for a non-member. So, obviously Laurie and I tried to figure out how much our four day total in the Everglades and John Pennekamp State Park. We realized we did those four days for under $600. Not six hundred each, six hundred total, or roughly three hundred dollars a person. 

My breakdown Camping $200, Gas one tank, $40, National Park Pass $30, Snorkel Trip at Pennekamp $80, Pennekamp Admission $8, Rental car $50/day Food-variable. Not including food we spent $558, there were a few other expenses I guess. I know we spent $15 on snacks and Gatorade at a convenient store in Flamingo. However, if the REI people went to the store, that wasn't included in their price either. Also, we did not go on a kayak trip, but as I stated above, that would only tack on less than thirty dollars a person. 

  So, an REI trip for two people would cost $3400 for two people over four days. We spent under six hundred dollars total for a savings of twenty eight hundred dollars!!!! Now, what did they get that we didn't. First off, it looks like the motel they stay at after arriving is included in the price (the airfare is not included). So they did get a night in a motel, and possibly one at the end of their trip. Where as, after our four days in the glades, we went off to our next adventure (Sanibel Island). For the record, our last night in Florida, we got a motel four miles from the airport for $80. So, you could include that in the "total cost". 

  Secondly, the meals were paid for. However, these folks weren't going to fancy restaurants, they were eating picnic lunches just like Laurie and I. Read the itinerary, they stop  for picnics. There isn't fine dining in the Everglades. I assume they had nicer suppers than we did. I can imagine the tour guides made nice meals of steaks with potatoes or other nice side dishes. We ate pasta and sauce one night and soup and Stove Top another night. I will gladly admit, they probably got served meals that cost ten dollars a person where as ours was less than ten dollars total. Instead of going back to camp at supper time to prepare a big meal, Laurie and I use as much of the daylight hours to explore. We spent four hours at the marina in Flamingo looking at wildlife and rushed back to camp at dusk to make food before dark. I'll take that trade off any day. 

  Lastly the people get things you can't put a price on. They got to go on a trip to meet like minded outdoors people. They made new friends. They hung out with people from all over the country. If Laurie and I got into an argument we were stuck with each other. They also had the peace of mind that they didn't have to make any decisions. They didn't have to plan. Their food was cooked for them while they lounged and chatted. How much are these things worth? It depends on the person.

   Personally, all those things you can't put a price on mean nothing to me. As I said, I love research. I enjoy making my own decisions. I like the freedom of driving the rental car. I can stop and look at a gator for as long as I want to. I don't mind making supper while camping. Food tastes better after a long day of exploring anyway. The only time I eat Mac and Cheese is while camping. I find it delicious after a day of hiking, but never eat it at home. 

   As for making the new friends and comradery, I personally can't say I care. I suppose if you met the love of your life on one of these trips, you really couldn't put a price tag on that. However, meeting new people that you'll exchange emails with a few times does not seem like its worth the extra thousand dollars a person. But again, it's not my money. 

   For the record, I have read many reviews from this particular REI trip to the Everglades. They are all five star. From what I read, the tour guides are amazing. They are knowledgeable, helpful, and always trying to give you snacks. I can verify from being at all the places they've been the wildlife and snorkeling is amazing. So I have no doubt they people on this trip have a great time. Would I ever go back to the Everglades and John Pennekamp State Park? Absolutely, I think about it a lot. Would I pay $1699 to do it with twenty other people? Not a chance in hell!


No comments:

Post a Comment