Thursday, June 18, 2020

Daniel Webster Wildlife Refuge

In my attempt to find adventures that are not along Route 1 in southern Rhode Island, I went to Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary in Marshfield, MA today. I love going to DWWS  but since I spend too much time in Rhode Island,  I think the following verse from Jimmy Buffett's "One Particular Harbor" sums up how I feel about the refuge

I know I don't get there often enough
But god knows I surely try
It's a magic kind of medicine
That no doctor could prescribe


Daniel Webster is 578 acres. The majority of it is a huge grassland. Because grasslands are rare in Massachusetts, like Crane Management Area I went to two weeks ago, it has birds fairly rare for this area. My favorite bird there are the Bobolinks. There are usually many airs at the refuge. This year the staff decided to rip up much of the grassland and replant it with a larger variety of grasses and plants. Though this made for less nesting area for Bobolinks this year, it should produce great results starting next year. 

I spent 3.5 hours walking and rewalking the trails today. I saw the expected Bobolinks and other species but nothing too rare. Still, it was a really fun morning. It got hot about 10:30 and am glad I got there early so I could leave before it got unbearable. 

Pictures below



Gray Catbird

White Tailed Deer

Cedar Waxwing

Bobolink

Bobolink


Northern Mockingbird


BOOM Song Sparrow!


Same Song Sparrow

A different Bobolink

Purple Martin

Purple Martin

Great Blue Heron

Northern Mockingbird

Yellow Warbler and the photos below




Another Deer



No comments:

Post a Comment