Friday, August 30, 2019

Best Day Ever on the Mudflats

In a day full of highlights, this Buff Breasted Sandpiper
was the prize
I've been going out to the mudflats in Ninigret Pond for most of my adult life. I remember taking my son out there when he was just a wee lad. I wasn't much more than a lad myself. Even in years when I didn't go birding much, I would find myself on the mudflats during late summer and early fall. I love it out there. Even though it is right behind a popular beach, it feels wild. There are always shorebirds out there from July through mid-September.

However, today was the mother of great days. I saw almost every single shorebird, both common and rare, that can be expected in Rhode Island during the fall migration. To put into perspective how great today was, if I hadn't gone birding all summer looking for shorebirds/gulls/ and terns and today was the first day all summer I went birding- I still would have seen every bird I chased since June 1 except for three (Roseate Tern, American Oystercatcher, American Avocet, and the tern and oystercatcher are very common at Napatree anyway)!

There is a small sandpiper that shows up about this time every year called a Western Sandpiper. As you can imagine, they are usually on the Western side of the U.S. Still some migrate down the East Coast in the fall. Last year, I had a great day where I saw five all at once. I thought that was amazing. Today, I can conservatively say there were at least thirty on the flats! I don't know how many individual Western's I got photos of. They were walking right up to me, too close to focus my camera.

Although, I love Western Sandpipers, the prize today was Buff Breasted Sandpiper. It is a larger beautiful shorebird. Labor Day weekend is when they migrate through. Jan and I got on the mudflats early today and she found it as I was launching my kayak.
Western Sandpiper

Besides the Westerns and the Buff Breasted, I found other great shorebirds. We had a Whimbrel and three Marbled Godwits. Both species are normally worth a chase on their own. This has been a great year for both species. Some years they skip right over Rhode Island.

We also had Pectoral Sand Pipers and White Rumped. There was a Caspain Tern hanging out with the gulls. We also had common species of shorebirds including Piping Plover, Semi-palmated Plover ,Least Sandpiper, Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Short Billed Dowitcher and the common species of gulls,terns and both species of yellowlegs. I stopped at Quonny Breachway this morning and also saw Black Tern and Forster's Tern.

I have been to the Breachway at least fifty times over the years. I've been at least ten times this year, and I have never had a day anything like today. It was spectacular. As you can guess, many photos below.

Pectoral Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Lesser Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

Forster's Tern

Marbled Godwit

Marbled Godwit


Buff Breasted Sandpiper

Whimbrel

Two of the three Marbled Godwits
Below, three more Western Sandpipers





Piping Plover Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment