Friday, July 12, 2019

They're Back

I know it would surprise most people, but some birds are already on their way home. The fall migration begins in July with shorebirds. Once they have bred in the Arctic, they head south as possible.

Today I went to Charlestown Breachway and Napatree Point today because there were a couple of rare birds. Yesterday a couple of Black Terns were spotted at Charlestown. This morning as I was driving to Charlestown a Whimbrel was seen at Napatree by Carlos Pedro. I changed plans and went to Napatree. I met my friend Jan there. We walked out to the lagoon but we dipped on the Whimbrel. We did see quite a bit of shorebirds including the entertaining American Oystercatchers.

On my way back to put my kayak in Ninigret Pond, I already knew the Black Terns were not on the mudflats. I still went out anyway, just because it is fun to be out there. A lot of birds were on the flats when I pulled up in my kayak. Pretty quickly I saw a Pectoral Sandpiper. Pecs are a fairly rare bird. They are not as rare as a Whimbrel or Black Tern, but still well worth seeing. The birds on the flats were very willing to pose for pictures today. Some of them got very close to me. Birding was so good, my plans to go fishing never materialized because I spent too much time in the mud.
American  Oystercatcher

Willet

Piping Plover

Common Tern

Least Tern

Least Sandpiper

Lesser Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Short Billed Dowitcher

1 comment:


  1. Such a nice & useful post. Really happy to see such post. I have come to know about many new ideas. I will try my best to implement some of them. Thanks.

    wood tools

    ReplyDelete