Thursday, July 4, 2019

Awesome Mini-Pelagic

 
In Chatham a guy named Blair Nikula runs short pelagics (about 4 -5 hours)out of the harbor. He is friends with the Captain of the Kittiwake, which is a sportfishing charter boat. Whenever there is an open day, Captain Ken Eldredge calls Blair to see if there is enough interest in putting together a pelagic outing. The boat has enough room for six birders, they need five to go out. Usually, there is only a few days notice.

A couple years back I got in touch with Blair and asked him if I could join the email list. I briefly explained that I work every Sunday and every other Sat, so it may be a while before one of these pop up mini-pelagics would fit into my schedule. Obviously, it is no big deal to him to add another person to the email list.

Sunday night as I was silencing my phone to go into a movie I noticed an email from Blair about a pelagic trip for the 4th of July. I had to make a rash decision to either ask to go or not. With only six open spots, these trips fill up fast. The catch was the boat leaves at 5 am. If I had time to think about it, I'd have probably talked myself out of wanting to go. Luckily for me, Rocketman was about to start so I made the decision to ask if any spots were still open. When I got out of the movie I found out I had indeed reserved a spot. Man, am I glad I did.

I had to be up at 2:55 AM to make it to Chatham Fish Pier on time. We left promptly at 5 Am. While cruising out of the harbor we watched the sun come up. Within a couple miles we started seeing Wilson's Storm Petrel everywhere. Soon after we saw a few Great Shearwaters and a couple Sooty flying but we kept on motoring out.  I was actually getting slightly annoyed that we were still moving with birds around. I was seeing more birds than I saw on the Ocean State Bird Club Trip last month, yet we didn't stop and chum. I figured the sooner we would chum, the more time we would have with close birds

Luckily, Ken and Blair know more than I do. We motored out a few more miles and came across rafts of pelagic birds. We stopped  at a couple where I got some decent shots of Great Shearwaters and Sootys, then we kept motoring out.


When we finally did stop and chum, the birds put on a show for us. We had Great Shearwaters, Sooty, and Wilson's Storm Petrel within inches of the boat. A couple times the Storm Petrels were within reach. The Shearwaters were feeding right under me, too close to focus on! We also came across a few Cory's Shearwaters and a Manx Shearwater. So we got the four common shearwaters and the common Wilson's pretty quickly.
Wilson's Storm Petrel

We also got what are considered rare birds also. We had at least two, maybe three Leach's Storm Petrel. They are bigger than a Wilson's and fly like a Nighthawk. The other great bird was a Long Tailed Jaeger.  This bird circled around the boat for about ten minutes. I didn't get as great of photos of it because we entered a fog bank during that time, so I didn't have the same great light as I did most of the trip. I realized it would be tough to get great pics, so I took a few then watched it through the binoculars.
Long Tailed Jaeger

We also saw Laughing Gulls, Common Terns, and Roseate Terns while out there besides the common Gull species. It was a truly amazing morning and I hate to say it, well worth getting up before 3 AM for.  More pictures below and probably another post

*** I took 742 pictures on the boat. Of those I probably deleted half when I got home because they were out of focus, or the bird dove/flew when I snapped the photo. That still leaves me over 300 acceptable pictures. I had great light on very calm seas. Blair and the Captain knew where to take us. I couldn't have asked for a better 4th of July.
This photo and the four below are Sooty Shearwaters






The little one on the left is a Manx Shearwater

Great Shearwater and also the next six below









Wilson's Storm Petrel, and the next four






Shark bait

Screenshot of a photo of a Leach's Storm Petrel.
Photo by Blair Nikula



No comments:

Post a Comment