Monday, June 3, 2019

Steely Dan- Do it Again

This post has absolutely nothing to do  with birds, fish, or hikes. It is about one of the weirdest coincidences of my life.

   As I mentioned in my previous post, I woke up Saturday morning with 249 birds and a pounding migraine. I woke up about 3 am with pain behind my right eye. I got up and took some Advil. While I was up I used the bathroom. In my head I couldn't get the lyrics of SteelyDan's Do it Again out of my head. At first it was like background noise. When I l went back to bed, I didn't fall asleep right away. For some reason the lyrics below went through my head over and over.

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table
You go back, Jack, do it again"

I listen to classic rock and oldies most of the time in the car. But to be honest I have never been much of a fan of the song. I don't know all of the lyrics. I even had to Google it to find out that the artist was, Steely Dan.

Seeing 250 species was my number one goal for the year. Maybe most people have goals in real life. But for me, I am more proud of my accomplishments in my hobbies such as finishing the NH 4000 foot mountains last year. What I am trying to say is, seeing 250 species of birds was very important to me.

  I put my kayak on the car after seeing the white-rumped sandpiper out in Ninigret Pond. I got the car. As you can imagine, there was a sense of accomplishment and relief. The radio station I always listen to when I am in South County is 104.3. It is a local channel out of Westerly, RI and Stonington ,CT. They play oldies from the 60's to the 80's. It is the only channel that I can find that plays actual oldies from the 60's.

   As I turned the car on and put it in reverse, guess what song was on the radio? You guessed it, "Do it Again". What the hell are the odds that the song that was in my head all morning would be on after my biggest accomplishment of the year?

   I can't figure out if it is some sort of sign, fate, or destiny. I'm not overly superstitious but that one was far too random. The song is really about a guy that keeps making bad decisions so it isn't like the sign is to "do it again" to get 250 species again next year.

   I know this is one of those"you had to be there" posts to truly appreciate. However, if you were in my shoes with a pounding headache and a song going through your head over and over not allowing you to fall back to sleep, then hearing it a few hours later, it was an odd experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVQpo2NdFQ

No comments:

Post a Comment