Friday, December 14, 2018

Common Redpolls

I spent four days this week looking for another northern winter finch, Common Redpolls. These elusive little guys seem to life birch forests. There is one in Lincoln, RI along the river. Last week a group of Redpolls were found by one of RI's best birders, Barbara Sherman.

Since then, I have tried three times to find them after work. I heard them once but for the most part the woods have been dead when I get there around 3 pm.

Today, not having to work, I tried again this morning. It took me quite a while but I ended up seeing two of them. They were tough to find and took me well over an hour. As I was walking out, three birders were walking in. I don't know if they have found them or not.

As far as I know only four other birders have seen them in the whole state. Hopefully, the birders I saw found them, but they are a challenge, and you will not see them without diligence. They are not like ducks on a pond. My guess is less than ten have seen the Redpolls. I am glad to be part of the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment