Friday, March 23, 2018

Patriotic Red Tailed Hawk Photoshoot

I went to the East Bay side of Rhode Island today looking for birds. Actively finding birds seemed a lot more fun than soaking Powerbait then pulling it out of the guts of a trout that would undoubtedly  swallow it.

I thought a pretty good omen fro the day was a Bald Eagle cruising over the highway five minutes from my house. It turned out to be one of three I saw today. The other two were at St. Mary's Pond, Portsmouth.

I also went to Sachuest today. There was a lot of bird activity there. I saw all three species of Scooters including my nemesis the White Winged Scooter. I also saw the Snowy Owl , not as close as last time I saw it but still quite a sight to behold.

The highlight of the day was a Red Tailed Hawk that had no fear of people. When I saw it, it was on top of the flagpole at the Visitor Center with people standing right under it snapping photos. It couldn't be bothered to care. From the flagpole it was actively hunting. Twice while I watched it, it flew down to attack voles and mice. After it failed from the flagpole, it moved to the top of a small cedar tree next to the parking lot. Needless to say, everyone was snapping photos including yours truly. Many photos below highlight list

Highlights for today

Sachuest- Red Tail, Snowy Owl, lots of sea ducks including hundreds of Surf Scooters

Boyd Marsh- Red Throated Loon

Driving on I-95 bald Eagle

St. Mary's Pond- 2 Eagles, Green Winged Teal, Northern Shoveler



Red Throated Loon



Muscovy Duck (not wild, but swimming with wild ducks



Gree Winged Teal

















No comments:

Post a Comment