Friday, March 16, 2018

Oh What a Night- Jersey Boys at the Hanover Theater

Last night Laurie and I went to the Hanover Theater to see the musical Jersey Boys. The show is about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. It was my birthday present to Laurie (her birthday is March 21). However, I was so excited to give her the tickets, I gave them to her on Christmas.

I bought the tickets the day they went on sale to the public. We got fifteen row seats. The price was $71. I'm pretty sure that was a mid price level ticket with closer tickets more expensive. I bought them so long ago, it is tough to remember. As for parking, there were a couple of lots and a couple garages within two blocks of the theater. I didn't want to sit in a garage for an hour after the show so I paid $10 in a private lot. I have no idea the price of anything else.

This was our first experience at the Hanover Theater is Worcester. It is easy enough to get to off of I-290. It is less than a mile from the exit, although there is a tricky intersection to take a left at. The theater itself is fairly small. The seats aren't overly large, but they are nice and cushiony.  They do not let folks into the theater until about 15 minutes before the show. We have to wait in the lobby until the ushers open the curtains. I don't understand the logic to this. It just causes a mad rush to the seats by a thousand people instead of a trickle of folks at their own leisure. However, I don't pay the taxes on the building so I don't make the rules. Speaking of rules, cell phones and photography are prohibited, hence the picture of the ticket at the top left corner.

The show lasted roughly two and a half hours and was awesome. There is an intermission about an hour and fifteen minutes in. The show is narrated by  "Tommy Devito" one of the Four Seasons. He tells the story as they go through their history. They play all of  Frankie Valli's and Four Season's songs. One really nice thing was there wasn't really any set changes to sit through. When they went from one scene to another, it would take five seconds and the flow never stopped. The guys that played the Four Seasons were really talented. I can imagine the hundreds of hours of practice and rehearsals to get the footwork right for the songs.

If you saw the movie directed by Clint Eastwood, than you can almost mouth along with the dialog. The movie follows very closely the musical. I could remember many of the lines that were coming before they were spoken.  I wish I would have seen the musical before the movie only because I knew what was coming and it would have been a little more fun to not know what to expect. However, if I'd never seen the movie, I probably wouldn't have wanted to go to the musical, so I guess it worked out in the end.

This was my first experience with an actual Broadway show with a professional cast.. It was the first musical or play that I paid more than thirty dollars a ticket. I had said a year ago on this blog that I hadn't found a play/musical that I was willing to pay for an expensive ticket. That was before Jersey Boys came to town. I really wanted to see it. I anticipated buying the tickets for two weeks before they were made available to the public.  There was no letdown or disappointment. the show was awesome. I believe there are shows tonight(Friday), Sat, and two on Sunday.

http://www.thehanovertheatre.org/


Side note-  The people in the row behind us were extremely annoying. There was a couple that was to my left that talked, to my right were three women that talked many times. Finally the woman beside me told the people to the left to stop. I told the people to the right to stop talking. We each had to say it twice, but they were much quieter during the second half. The couple was in their sixties, and the three women  were late fifties. How the hell can you be that age and not have manners? Who brought these people up, were they not taught respect as kids? The lady beside me and myself basically had to gang up on these people to shut them up. I paid $71 a ticket to hear the show not them, and I'd feel the same way if I paid three dollars a ticket. Common sense and manners should not be a lot to ask. For the record, these were the only obnoxious people in the whole place. You could hear a pin drop in the entire seating area except for two different groups of assholes in the same row!


No comments:

Post a Comment