Friday, May 5, 2017

Taking advantage of the rainy day!!!

The brown trout in the water right before its release
Nope, that headline was FAKE NEWS. I would really prefer the weather on my days off to be sunny and 70 degrees in May. I fish every night after work. On my days off I'd really like to go birding. Since there are only four Fridays this month, that means I only have eight opportunities to go birding in ,by far, the best birding month of the year.

However, it does no good trying to change the weather, so I did what I could on this crappy miserable day. First, I went fishing for the elusive brown trout. For some reason browns are the hardest trout for me to catch. Now before you go telling me that browns are the smartest most wily of trout, realize these are hatchery fish. They have lived on corn pellets for the last two years. They are jut stocked trout. Still, I usually have to try fishing for them three or four times a spring before I land one.

So this morning I took a trip to Plymouth and started trout fishing. On my first cast I landed a 17 inch trout. I couldn't tell if it was a brown or a tiger (the color of a brown but no spots). On my next cast I had three hits. The cast after that I hooked a fish that came off at my feet. I thought I was in for a big, big, day

Then crickets...Nothing for the next hour and a half. I walked the shoreline in both directions. I tried many different lures. Finally I got another hit and reeled in a decent 13-14 inch brown trout. After that fish, I tried for another hour but caught diddly squat. So I drove the hour home and ate lunch.

After lunch I was off again. Since the worst of the rain was predicted to be in the afternoon, I went fishing at Wachusett Reservoir. The fishing is usually much better in bad weather. The wind was blowing and the rain was pouring down. I thought for sure I would land something. I didn't buy any shiners so I only used lures today. I had planned on buying shiners. When I got to the bait shop there was a sign on the door that said "be back in five minutes". I waited 15 minutes then the rain started to pick up. I figured there wasn't any point waiting on this guy any longer so I went fishing.

I fished for almost two hours in  a downpour. I tried small spoons for salmon on the surface and big ones for lakers on the bottom. I never got a hit. I'm never surprised when I get a goose egg at the Chu, but I was today. The lake should have given up a fish or two in what was perfect fishing weather for that place. Also, it would have been nice if Mother Nature could have thrown me a bone.

After fishing I went home and dried off. I did about a million things around the house. The most important was get my trout gear cleaned and organized in anticipation of catching some golden trout tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment