Thursday, May 25, 2017

No Camping Trip, No Problem

This fish wasn't that long, but it was extremely fat
There is no question that I had really looked forward to going camping for two and a half days in Newburyport. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my plans because of the lousy two days of rain. I was really bummed out by Tuesday because the weather forecast was so ominous. I could have still gone but I would have been very limited to what I could have done.

So I came up with Plan B. I asked my friend Dave if he wanted to go carp fishing in one of the more exotic locations in New England. It was a two hour drive and I offered to drive. He said yes (when we fish together he drives more often than me because of his roof rack holds rods). I had a little bump in the road because I had difficulty getting my out of state fishing license online. I ended up buying it at the bait shop near the fishin' hole. Between the online snafu and the tackle shop, I probably wasted an hour. Luckily for us, fishing this spot should have been better later as opposed to early.

By no means was our day wasted. Between us we caught ten fish. The biggest carp was 22 pounds. We both had a fish on that "was the big one that got away". This spot is known for some huge carp.

 Dave also caught a channel catfish. I wanted one very badly and was the main reason I paid $55 for a non-resident license. I used one rod exclusively for catfish. I alternated between liver and hot dogs but that rod never got a hit. Next time I am going to bring cut up fish chunks None the less it was nice to fish an area with big fish. The place we fished has known carp over thirty five pounds. Who knows how big the fish was I lost? Maybe fifteen pounds, maybe a monster.

Today was absolutely making the best of my day. Going carp fishing  on this body of water was on my 2017 bucket list. If I would have made the plans to go carp fishing I would have really been looking forward to it. Since it was rainy all day and camping was not an option, there really was no place I would rather have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment