Saturday, January 30, 2016

Mt Rushmore Western Trip Part 6

    I thought I'd share some pictures from my vacation out west in 2010. Of course Yellowstone and the other places I went are not in southern New England, but maybe these pictures will inspire someone to take a trip to any of these places. I'll put about ten to fifteen pictures of each place in a post. Each post will be of just one place. I'll start each post with this opening paragraph. If there are any question about any of the places (admission price, distance from town, etc.. just leave them in comments section and I will gladly answer them). Since these posts take about five minutes and there is not a lot of outdoors stuff going on right now, I'll probably post everyday, so check back often.


Mt Rushmore is about a seventy five mile drive from the Badlands. It is in the Black Hills which are about fifteen degrees cooler than the Badlands in the summer. As a matter of fact. Although it was almost 100 degrees in the Badlands, one of the mornings in the Black Hills, I woke up to thirty eight degree cold. This was the first week of July. Since I hadn't brought any, we went to a Walmart in Spearfish to buy sweatpants. 

We went to Mt Rushmore three times in a three day period. We didn't stay all day. We went for a couple hours, then went back at night for the lighting. The third time we went, was more of a saying goodbye. Being such an amazing, patriotic landmark that we may never see again, we wanted to take it in one last time.

He had a bright blue sky so taking postcard quality photos was easy








There is a rock  that is split along the trail. It perfectly frames Washington. I thought I had an original idea. However, when I got back to the gift shop, I saw a postcard from this angle. Made me think I was an artist. 


Everyone thinks that the statue takes up the whole mountain. As you can see here, it doesn't. Calendars and even my above photos are deceptive




There are some mountain goats at the National Monument. They are radio collared but they are wild. It was good that we saw them. They were the only mountain goats we saw on the trip






The avenue towards the viewing area is lined with all state flags. On a personal note, I get skinnier as we go through the vacation













Thomas.



                                                 Abraham



                                                             George



                                                           
                                                                    Teddy


With Ponderosa Pines andRock formations photo oppurtunities are limitless on "framing the photo"



DJ was quite excited to be this far from home.




If you ever go to Mt Rushmore, I strongly suggest you buy an ice cream. They have a flavor called Prairie Praline. It is absolutely the best ice cream I have ever had. Is there anything more American than a father and son enjoying an ice cream while viewing one of our countries most iconic monuments on a summer road trip? Believe me, I know how lucky I was.




There is a scenic byway in the Black Hills. There are tunnels through the mountains. The tunnels were intentionally made to face Mt Rushmore. 



                                               More "framing"

No comments:

Post a Comment