Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Marlboro Fly Fishing Show - My favorite outdoor show

When I write about a winter outdoor show, I realized, I usually write a post the Friday or Saturday that I go. This gives anyone interested little time to go. So I thought I'd send out a post a week in advance of what I believe is the best outdoor show of the winter. The show runs Jan 22-24. As the name suggests, it is all about fly fishing.

The show is set up in two buildings. The main show is in a huge conference/expo building. You can buy fly gear, books, fly tying tackle, waders and a host of other stuff. There is a casting pool where you can try a rod that you may want to buy. There is an authors booth that you can get books signed. There is always a fly tying workshop going on also. Outfitters from across the country have booths as they advertise their lodges and guides.

Almost 100%  of the booths are dedicated to fly fishing. Very little non-fishing crap can be bought. I find myself walking up and down the aisles multiple times Of course when people think of fly fishing, the fish most commonly thought of is trout. It is true a great deal of outfitters and fly gear is dedicated to trout. However, there are lodges from great saltwater destinations specializing in everything from bonefish and tarpon to sailfish.

The main reason I love going to this show are the seminars. Most of  the seminars are in the Royal Plaza Hotel which is just up a hill from the convention center. They are about a five minute walk apart. There is a shuttle that will take you between buildings. Last year it was warm the day I went so I just walked between buildings each time to get some fresh air and wake up a little.

The seminars are top notch. There are two seminar rooms and four rooms called "Destination Theater". They are just seminar rooms, while Destination Theater seminars usually are about some exotic fishing location and the seminar rooms are more of a "how to" learning, the truth is they are interchangeable. Every hour there are as many as six seminars going on at any one time. Almost every seminar I have gone to has been outstanding. Fishing guides explain how to fish their rivers or lakes. The how to seminars are great for learning new techniques. I have enjoyed learning about places like the Salmon River, NY, Delaware River, San Juan in Colorado and many others.

I have only gone to one seminar ever that was a waste of time. It was about fishing for trout in the northeast. I thought for sure I was going to hear about big famous places like the Penobscot or Battenkill. Instead the writer of the book (the book title was the name of the seminar) had a slide presentation with the names of the contributors of his book. That was it. No info about what might even be in the book. The presentation lasted eight minutes. Needless to say, if he does a seminar this year, I will be skipping it.

I have gone to this show for five years or more. I write above the seminar, not to complain but because it was the only one I have ever gone to that was a waste of time. I go online and get a seminar schedule. I write down the ones I want to go to during each hour and then prioritize them. Sometimes, there can be four that I would like to go all at the same time. I try to see if any are going to be done again later in the day. If so, I'll put that one off. If not I go to the one that I haven't been to and/or most want to see.

If you have any interest in visiting any of the famous rivers in Colorado, try to check out either of the two seminars put on by Cameron Cipponeri. I went to his seminars last year. He knows his stuff. He gladly tells you where the public access is to the rivers ( Colorado, San Juan, Animas and others).  He explains the best ways to fish them each season. While walking around last year I saw him at his booth we ended up talking for almost an hour. I fished the Colorado when DJ and I went out west, so I knew a little about the places he fishes.

The cost of the show is fifteen dollars. This will get you in the door. The shuttle back and forth is free. The seminars are free with the price of your admission. The link to the website is
http://flyfishingshow.com/marlborough-ma/  If you enjoy fly fishing or want to go on a fly fishing trip, this show is for you.

DJ with a wild brookie from the headwaters of
the Colorado River in Rocky Mountain
National Park in 2010

1 comment: