Thursday, April 22, 2010

Concord, MA



















My goal in writing blogs is to tell stories about daytrips and write about things I've seen, caught, or learned about. I would rather not have every post a list like why stripers are my favorite fish. Unfortunately, if I am going to write about all the fun things to do in Concord or tell you about all the sites, there really isn't any other way to tell you other then another list.




Concord is a great town. There is so much to see and do there. You could spend a long weekend there and not see everything. I have tried to hit all the historic sites, lakes, and refuges through the years. I think I only have two left that I've never been too. With the exception of the Wayside and fishing Whites Pond, I think I've gone to everytthing at least once.


If after reading this blog, you decide to go to Concord, you will have to do a little research on your own. I will tell you the things I enjoy and the ones I didn't but I am not going to bore you with directions to 7 different locations. Also, some of the places have fees.






Minuteman National Historic Park- Right off of Route 95 on route 2A is the visitor center for Battle Road. Start your historic journey here. There is agreat introductory movie. You can pick up a map of the park and ask all your questions at the info desk. After the shots were fired at the Old North Bridge the British had to run back back to Boston ( 15 miles) as fast as they could because the minutemen were shooting them every chance they got. The road through Concord is known as "Battle Road" It traces some of path back to Boston. On the road or some important places for the history buff to stop, such as where Paul Revere was captured on the night of his historic site. I think the best way to explore the road ( about 5 miles one way) is by bike. It is a dirt path that is off the street. You can stop at all the sites and get back to the visitor center in less then 3 hours.


Old North Bridge- No daytrip to Concord is complete without a stop at the bridge. It is not on Battle Road, but on the other side of Concord Center. I am in awe of what actually happened there,no matter how many times I 've been. Farmers standing up to the most powerful army in the world.




Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge- This refuge is awesome. There is a trail that goes through two manmade ponds. The ponds water is manipulated throughout the year to provide food for migrating birds. It is a pretty refuge along the banks of the Concord River. If you are looking for a nice walk, this would be a good place to go, and bring the binoculars.



Sleepy Hollow Cemetery- Concord was known as home of the authors. In the 1800's Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Louisa Mat Alcott were neighbors. They are all buried on what is known as Authors Hill in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. I doubt there is another place in America ( with the exception of Arlington ) that has so many great minds buried so close together. Also buried there is May Alcott, Louisa's sister, who was a briliant painter and Daniel Chester French the sculptur of the statue of Abe Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial. You will have to spend a little time finding his grave, but that is half the fun.




Walden Pond- Thoreau lived here for a year. A replica of his cabin is on the grounds. Shockingly, this is where he is writting about in his novel titled "Walden". There is a $5 parking fee year round which I think is a little annoying. The lake is heavily stocked with trout, so chances of catching a couple are really high.




Orchard House- The home of Louisa May Alcott, author of "Little Women". I think its $9 to take the tour. As soon as you walk into the first room you forget all about the money. The tour guide was so informative and the house itself, is so cool.


Concord Museum- Home of one of the lanterns hung in the Old North Church ( One if by land, two if by sea). Really a great little museum. I don't remember what the admission fee was.












As I mentioned before, I have yet to go to The Wayside which was the home of the authors and I haven't fished at Whites Pond. The pond is known for having large brown trout. The Wayside opens in late May and I will go this year. I'm not sure I will take the drive to Whites since I still want to get to Wachusetts Reservoir at least once. If you count the attractions in nearby Lexington such as Lexington Green, Buckman Tavern, Museum of our National Heritage and DeCordova Museum, the area has limitless possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment