Sunday, July 23, 2017

Water Fire, Providence

Amazingly, until tonight I had never been to Water Fire. For those that don't know, the city of Providence lights wood in the middle of the river that runs from the Providence Place Mall to Point Street Bridge. This happens at dusk a few times a summer (mostly Saturdays). To go along with the fires, it is basically a festival. There are street vendors and street performers.There are Del's Lemonade Stands and other food venues.

I had never been so I didn't know what to expect. We found a parking spot fairly easy, but we did park a half mile from the cauldrons. This so happens to be the area I fish for holdover stripers in the winter, so I know it very well. The festival and the fires start just north of Hemingway's restaurant.

The fires don't get lit until 20 minutes after sunset, but it would be a shame to get there that late just to see the fires because the daylight is much more fun. We got there about 7 pm, and I took a lot of pictures knowing I wouldn't be able to after dark.

All in all, I thought Water Fire was really fun. I was really looking forward to it, so I could have set myself up for disappointment. As I said, it is a festival, so it is best to get there early and enjoy it.  If I would have got there just at the lighting, it wouldn't have been worth it. Of course food vendors cost money. However, Water Fire is free, you don't need a ticket. It is a cool thing for Providence to do.
Many pictures below.

These kayaks were part of the Ceremony. When the cauldrons were lit
the kayaks, decorated with koi were paddled up and down the river.


My two favorite women in the world peeking out from the"donut"


There are Venician gondola rides on the river. The cost is ridiculous.


These boats carried extra wood for when the fires start to die out.


Amber at  a fountain


This is a woman not a statue. If you put a dollar in her vase, she would bend down for a
picture with you

Part of Rhode Island Holocaust Memorial



Korean War Memorial


View from one of the bridges


The wood piles are in the middle of the river. I think there are about 100


Glass Blower



Tiles on the 9/11 Memorial






The main lighting area near Providence Place Mall



















No comments:

Post a Comment