Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Shark Week?

I know that shark week is wrapping up on the Discovery Channel and their is significant backlash with Micheal Phelps racing a shark simulation. But what if you actually saw a real live shark?

Same picture but cropped with focus on the tail
I went to the Cape Cod Canal after work today in hopes of getting in on the striper action. Spoiler Alert: almost no one got any fish this afternoon. However I had quite the eventful day. I fished on the Cape side of the canal today and rode my bike. I was almost in front of the Herring Run and saw two fins way out. They looked so far apart I thought it was two porpoises. A minute or so later I saw the fins again almost directly in front of me in the middle of the canal.

I got my camera out just in case I saw the fins again. I was pretty sure after my second look that it
was only one animal. Shockingly, about ninety seconds later, within twenty feet of me, the fins came out of the water. The fish turned around and headed out never to be seen again (I thought I saw it heading toward Bourne Bridge thirty minutes later).

I got off two pictures. I'm sure now it was a shark and not a mammal since the tail was vertical and not horizontal. Also, I never saw it expel air through a blow hole. I went online to figure out what kind it was. My best two guesses are Sand Tiger and Sandbar. I sent a picture to Marine Fisheries. If they respond I will update the blog. What a cool experience.


This guy was parked next to me when I got back to my car

No comments:

Post a Comment