Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Stepstone Falls, Aracadia Management Area

Yesterday I went for a hike in Arcadia Management Area in Exeter, RI. I hadn't done well fishing or birding lately, so I decided to take an afternoon to just walk. I had been wanting to go to Stepstone Falls since the winter. I tried to go there in March, but the road was closed.  Normally I wouldn't go for a hike during the fishing/birding season. Since I didn't get a chance to see the waterfall in the winter and I needed a break from my drought, I figured, what the hell.

Stepstone Falls is the only real waterfall in Rhode Island (dams don't count). It is in the town of Exeter. I chose to do a hike to the falls from Austin Farm Road. To reach Austin Farm Rd. travel from Rt. 3 to Route 165. Take a right on Frosty Hollow Road. Take it till the end. Take a left onto Austin Farm Road. Follow this dirt road 2.2 miles. You will cross a river on a one lane bridge. This is the trailhead. There is parking for a few cars If you do won't want to hike, the falls can be accessed from Falls River Road.

I started my hike from Austin Farm Road. The trail to the falls is called the Ben Utter Trail.  For much of the way the trail follows the Falls River which is part of the Wood River. This river is a trout water. The trail and the watercourse are beautiful. It is only a little over a mile to the falls. If you want a play by play of the actual trail so you won't get lost follow this link.  http://www.hikenewengland.com/StepstoneFallsRI070907.html

It only took me about a half hour to get to Stepstone Falls. I brought my supper with me and ate it on a small ledge near the falls. The waterfall drops a total of about ten feet in a series of steps. The largest step is four feet. This of course is nothing compared to New Hampshire waterfalls, but they have the advantage of falling down mountains.

My only complaint is that at the top of the falls is a parking lot. It didn't bother me that I hiked to a waterfall that was at a parking lot. It bothered me more that others didn't. A waterfall that pretty should be in the woods and not near a road. The roar of cars and trucks did take a little away from what should be a quiet peaceful scene. Still the waterfall was really nice. The walk to it was really nice. I especially enjoyed eating supper right next to the falls. All in all, it was a great way to spend the afternoon.

For the record, my friend Dave went striper fishing and caught over thirty stripers including a keeper. Still...no regrets

No comments:

Post a Comment