Sunday, April 24, 2016

I've been Compensating for something

That's right, if you read the title, I'm man enough to admit, I've been lacking. I was lying in bed the other night thinking about the spring so far. It occurred to me that this spring hasn't been very memorable. I tried to think about why. Have I been spending too much time birding instead of fishing?  Was it just because the weather felt like it was"on the edge of spring" up until the last week? Maybe, because I've only had a couple really good days fishing, I felt lacking.

My next conclusion was that I've done a lot of hikes. I've gone on hikes in MA and RI when I would normally be fishing. I enjoy hiking during colder weather more than fishing for one reason, you stay warm. That's why I explore a lot of places in the winter. However, I've done a lot of hikes in the last few weeks. Normally, I would never give up a day spring fishing to walk in the woods around here. I lied in bed trying to figure it out. 

As anyone who reads this knows, I try to have as much fun as I can. Just because I try, does not mean I am always successful. Driving to Newport to chase a little blue heron and not find it can be a frustrating experience. Same goes for a day going to the Cape or Plymouth and not catching any trout. So I lied there trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Then it hit me, I've been compensating this spring. That's right, Something was lacking in my manhood. I'm not proud of it, and it is embarrassing to write about. However, this is a blog that I try to be honest in.  I just knew something was missing.

So I fixed the problem. How you ask? I bought the ROOF RACKS I've been lacking.. All spring I've been compensating for the fact I could not put my kayak on my car. I had my Santa Fe for ten years, it had roof racks. I had my kayak on the roof from mid-March until June. This spring I couldn't use my kayak, so I went for a lot of walks. When I realized what was missing from my life, I sucked it up and bought the roof racks. I paid eight dollars for three day shipping. 

The racks came in on Friday night and I installed them on my car. After work on Saturday, I put my kayak on my car and went to the nearby fly-fishing only pond. In less than two hours I caught seven rainbows. Had three others on, an had another dozen hits. 

That was what I had missing in my life. Now I have the same freedom I had with my Santa Fe. I can use my kayak again. I can go trout fishing from it. I can bring it to largemouth and smallmouth lakes. I even use it in protected bays to catch my favorite gamefish (not including albies), stripers. Time to make some more fishing memories.

Oh, did you think I was compensating for something else?

Much better




No comments:

Post a Comment