Thursday, April 7, 2016

New Clubs to try

Most of the money we spend on the outdoors goes directly to our pursuit. Obviously, any money spent on a gas to a destination, a night at a campground, will hopefully not be wasted. Buying fishing gear to replace what I lost the previous season, is something I have to do every winter. Of course, many of us want outdoor gear for Christmas presents. I am always happy to open fishing gear.

However, there are some types of fishing/ outdoor expenses that I consider to be borderline bills. These are things I have to buy, or want to buy but don't go directly towards fun. Examples of these things include fishing licenses, magazine subscriptions and clubs. Of course, I enjoy reading, so I don't mind my magazine subscriptions, that said, I don't enjoy writing the check out very much either. I kind of look at this spent money as "Collateral Damage". Money unintended to be spent, but necessary.

This year I have decided to take a little different approach to some of these items. I'm not made of money and when you add up four licenses, three magazine subscriptions, and a couple of clubs, it does add up. I'm not complaining, rather the opposite, this year I'm going to try a couple new things and take a break from a couple old stand-bys. Here is what I usually buy

Fishing licenses
      Massachusetts Resident Freshwater
      Rhode Island Non-resident Freshwater and Trout Stamp
      New Hampshire Non-Resident Freshwater
      Massachusetts Saltwater

Magazine Subscriptions
        On the Water
        The Fisherman
         Backpacker

Clubs
         Rhode Island Carp Anglers Group
         Mass Audubon

Pass
          Parker River NWR yearly pass
          White Mountain NF yearly pass


This year, I'm going to try a couple of different things. First, I'm not getting a NH fishing license this year. It is out of protest for raising the price ten dollars. I'd be okay with the ten dollar fee raise, if I summered up there.  Going up four or five times, I can't justify spending sixty plus dollars. So I'm going to concentrate on hiking mountains instead.

Instead of getting a pass for both Parker and the Whites, I'm going to buy an Interagency Pass. The cost is eighty dollars, but since I am going to South Dakota this June, I should get most of my monies worth out of it. An Interagency Pass is good in national parks, national forests, and national wildlife refuges.

The clubs are where I am going to change it up a bit. Instead of rejoining Mass Audubon, which costs $48 a year, I'm joining Ocean State Birders which is about fifteen. Both have guided walks. The difference is Mass Audubon charges crazy money to go on these walks (10-30) where as OSB is free. Since I am trying to see how many species I can see in Rhode Island,  this will work out well for me.

What do I loose if I don't rejoin MA Audubon? I would have to pay to go to some of their sanctuaries, and the walk fee costs a couple dollars more for non-members. I only go to a couple Mass sanctuaries, and I enjoy my time there. Trying to see as many RI birds as I can, I probably won't be going to Mass sanctuaries that much this year.

Another club I joined is Narragansett Surfcasters. I joined because they can get a pass to a very fishy piece of private property. The club has monthly meetings. I went to my first one in March and really enjoyed myself. I am looking forward to picking up some tips from these guys.

There are, of course, no shortage of people that will gladly help you part with your money. There are many other clubs out there that I share interest with. I hike, therefore, the Appalachian Mountain Club is one I have joined in the past. I've had Maine Freshwater licenses multiple times. I've been a member of RI Audubon. I think RISAA does good work. I've had magazine subscriptions to Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, Sports Illustrated, and others.All that said, there is only so much time. You can only read so much and the magazines I choose are local. The clubs I'm in, are for my selfish benefit. It makes sense to me to join a bird club that has free walks on Fridays. It's my money and I spend it where I see the most value.

No comments:

Post a Comment